DSE

More 4K

Expect prices to drop even lower. JVC will be launching their new 4K with lens mounts...and more from others too.
I'm just finishing up a new book on UHDTV/4K/8K and in the process of writing, 3 new cameras have been floated.
Amazing to see how fast 4k is rolling.

The crazy things is people still don't have the demand to receive their tandem videos in HD . I have the capability to make and deliver HD since early 2008 (1080 in many possible formats).
On Saturday one of my tandem video costumer was a film student here in NY. She asked me for the raw footage so she could edit it by her self. When I asked her what resolution and format (SD, AVCHD, MOV and etc...) she was clueless. Similar situations occur once or twice a month... And as I said no regular costumer ever came and asked if they could have their tandem video in high definition.
Now the question is we gonna have these nice 4K and even 8K cameras, but how about displays, delivery and demand?

Displays...Available now (if you're rich/famous) Cheaper in July of 2013, reasonable by Jan 2014.

Delivery...Available now over YouTube, soon Vimeo. It'll never go to disc, bitrate way too high for optical delivery. Korea is starting to test 4K, Japan is already actively testing it. HEVC is here, still young but here.

Demand...a ways off. It'll be 2015 before it's a beginning standard for consumers...

But it did effectively kill 3D very fast.
It is very cheap to produce/edit/deliver.
It has hit mainstream in its infant stages (GoPro's crummy 15fps, soon to use HEVC for 30fps).
It's a great buzzword for measurebators.

I'd not advocate DZ's look at 4K for at least 3-4 years...but I do advocate people buy my book on 4/8K.:P

I'd not advocate DZ's look at 4K for at least 3-4 years...but I do advocate people buy my book on 4/8K.:P

NO ADVERTISING on the forums:|
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

By the time the book hits the streets, I'll wager 25% of this forum participants have already quit the sport....It's due to be published in 2013 (read above).
But...you can pre-order a pre-order by slipping 25cents in your almost useless DVD tray.

But...you can pre-order a pre-order by slipping 25cents in your almost useless DVD tray.

:P
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Seeing 4k come into the consumer arena is amazing. I've been involved in 3D for several years in the feature and TV sports market and it never really took the hold that a lot of people were hoping it would, including myself. But, two years ago in Japan I saw a demonstration of an experimental Epson 8k laser projector, projecting content shot on the NHK 8k research camera. And my jaw absolutely dropped. At that resolution, it gets close to being able to trick human vision into believing what's on the screen is real. So much detail its insane... Although 3d is a great thing, I really think ultra ultra high resolution is the future of entertainment. Although infinite resolution lightfield cameras should be a hell of a thing to see, and probably are only 1-2 years away :)

At that resolution, it gets close to being able to trick human vision into believing what's on the screen is real. So much detail its insane... Although 3d is a great thing, I really think ultra ultra high resolution is the future of entertainment. Although infinite resolution lightfield cameras should be a hell of a thing to see, and probably are only 1-2 years away :)

Plenoptics/light field are available now (was one of the early suckers for the Lytro), but they're off by more than 1-2 years in quality...

IMO, UHDTV is what has killed 3D, kind of what we expected to kill 3D, even though I'm a fan of some things in 3D (and it's a heckuva lot of fun for geeks).
4K...it's the NBT. HEVC is already moving fast.
Were you at the NHK opening? Musta been great. Saw 8K at IBC year before last, it was spectacular.

Lightfield cameras are available, but not in the kind of quality needed. I'm thinking more like 4k effective resolution at infinite focus or stereo positions.. at high frame rates :) I saw the 8k thing in Japan at Interbee in Epson's booth. It's sad they killed their 8k laser projector. It was unlike anything I've seen since then.

Switched to different PC with 10mbps DL speed. It loads fine and runs a lot smoother, but it's still not as smooth as 1080p.
It's noticing this that made me start wondering about the usefulness of the 4k feature on the new GoPro...

?

Do you have 4k display ?

Switched to different PC with 10mbps DL speed. It loads fine and runs a lot smoother, but it's still not as smooth as 1080p.
It's noticing this that made me start wondering about the usefulness of the 4k feature on the new GoPro...

?

Do you have 4k display ?

a 4K display won't affect whether it will stream (but you already knew that)

Yeah, thats true.

I was merely pointing out that normal HD display wont be able to utilize the 4K resolution, so there is no real point to worry about the video not streaming or playing smoothly.

All this HD stuff is facinating to read about,,but my question is where is the end ? i mean what is our perfect vision resolution at ? Whats the most the human eye can see ?

It has been said to be around 300 dpi/ppi. At least it shouldnt be much more than that.

For example iphone 4 retinadisplay is over 300 ppi. In other words, adding more pixels to the iphone wouldnt make a difference for human eye.

Yeah, thats true.

I was merely pointing out that normal HD display wont be able to utilize the 4K resolution, so there is no real point to worry about the video not streaming or playing smoothly.

I don't have a 4K display - just trying to figure out if the playback issue is due to my hardware (it pretty much has to be, if it runs smoothly for everyone else). I'll figure it out.
I think if there's going to be any use for 4K footage at the moment it will be for cropping in on stuff in the frame.
Just wondering because I'd be annoyed if I got a GoPro3 to muck around with the 4K just to see what it will do and then found I had to upgrade some other hardware as well.

The GoPro is a waste for 4k, due to the frame rate. Things that hold still or move veeerrrryyyyy slowly will be fine in 4K with the GoPro. You'll struggle with editing on most configurations.

4K is the next big thing, the PlayStation 4 will make it even more household. However... We're a ways away from it being common.

"Where is the end?"
Trying to be futuristic here... I guess eventually we won't have displays at all. Experinces (images, emotions, sounds, smells, and etc all together) will be recorded and trasmitted directly into the brain. It will be some kind of virtual reality, kinda like an acid dream :)