soulbabel

Sony Action Cam - GoPro competitor (HDR-AS10 and HDR-AS15)

$348? Does that include the GoPro or is that just for the case?!!?

Main reason for question was that if someone has made them for the GP2, then it is likely that one will come out for the GP3. But hopefully at a cheaper price!!!
Sky Switches - Affordable stills camera tongue switches and conversion adaptors, supporting various brands of camera (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic).

$348? Does that include the GoPro or is that just for the case?!!?

Main reason for question was that if someone has made them for the GP2, then it is likely that one will come out for the GP3. But hopefully at a cheaper price!!!

"*GOPRO CAMERA NOT INCLUDED"

Little fine print in the pic. I think I'll pass.
You stop breathing for a few minutes and everyone jumps to conclusions.

Having played with the AS15 the last two weeks, I love the image quality, but the box itself has some severe issues with fogging up on the inside due to large empty spaces in the back of the box. It could be an issue with the current (colder) EU weather. Who knows, but on most skydive/basejumps where the exit/ground altitude varied quite a bit the camera had a very faded image due to misting on the inside.

Since Im not using the camera for pools/diving, Ill probably remove the lens on the casing to just have the actual lens out in the open air to prevent this. But that aside, really liking it and the 120fps is awesome to play with.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Haven't seen this fogging problem yet, but it's also not cold here.
Sony sells the cover without the lens in it. Be aware, the Sony lens isn't replaceable like the GoPro lens is, so if it's damaged...camera is effectively gone.

Having played with the AS15 the last two weeks, I love the image quality, but the box itself has some severe issues with fogging up on the inside due to large empty spaces in the back of the box. It could be an issue with the current (colder) EU weather. Who knows, but on most skydive/basejumps where the exit/ground altitude varied quite a bit the camera had a very faded image due to misting on the inside.

Since Im not using the camera for pools/diving, Ill probably remove the lens on the casing to just have the actual lens out in the open air to prevent this. But that aside, really liking it and the 120fps is awesome to play with.

What about drilling a couple of small holes fore and aft, to allow air to stream through?
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Is the 4K option on the GP3 actual 4K chip, or is it done through uprezing?

It's an ambarella chip, so I *believe* it's native. But it's still a super small chip.

Is it an A7 chip? Because if so there is something that puzzles me. The highest data rate on GP3 is 132,7Mpixels/s at 4096x2160@15fps but the A7 chip is stated to be capable of processing up to 500 Mpixels/s. Wouldn't that mean that, that chip could do 3840x2160@60fps (497,7Mpixels/s) or am I missing something? Is the limitation on GP3 the sensor chip? Since at least with a quick search the best sensor I could find was OV12830 which can do 4224x3000@24fps (304,12 Mpixels/s). And would all this mean that in few years time there will be GP4 which can do at least 4k@24 fps or even more?

Edit : OmniVision seems to actually have a sensor chip(OV16820) that can do 3840x2160@60fps but I somehow missed that. So if I'm not mistaken it would be possible to already build a camera that can do 4k@60fps.

Edit2 : Just realized that the 500Mpixels/s on the A7(hybrid) chip probably means raw data and not compressed and the best compressed it can do is 2560x1600@30fps (122,9Mpixels/s).
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

Yeah that's kind of the thing I'd be wanting, although as that will still have the gopro case raised a little off the surface of my helmet, for me it would still be a line snag hazard.

I'd be wanting a case, like that phenomenally expensive one linked to earlier, where the whole case would be flush with the helmet, no visible gap underneath - i.e. the tripod thread is built into the base of the case.

I've got that for the AEE SD20 camera I'm currently using, so would have hoped for something similar on the far more popular brand!
Sky Switches - Affordable stills camera tongue switches and conversion adaptors, supporting various brands of camera (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic).

I have the AS15 and the Nexus 7 with the Play memories Mobile App and it won't connect, I am using Jelly Bean.....

I checked the manual and can't find a guide, it just keeps saying connecting but nothing happens,

Any advice?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Sponored by NZ Aerosports, CYPRES 2, Tonfly & L&B

Team Dirty Sanchez #232

It's a bug the Playmemories app has with Nexus devices. If you look through the feedback on the Google play store, you'll see a lot of complaints with it not working on Nexus devices. I called Sony Techsupport several weeks ago to report the bug, but they never did anything about it. I think I'm going to write a shitty 1 star review and hope they eventually take notice of the issue. I was able to get the Sony to connect to my old Tmobile G2X phone though, so I know the camera is not defective.

Sony was at Bridge Day this year and gave a few of us some free ones to test. I shot a few jumps in 720p @ 120fps. Footage was crisp but it wasnt a fair test with colors because it was completely overcast that day. I also used the same settings on a base jump in Utah last weekend and the colors were a lot better. I'll see if I can get the raw up on youtube this weekend and post the link.
Fiend

I am about to take my last voyage, a great leap in the dark. - Thomas Hobbes.

Ive been using the camera a bit more (had some shots a few weeks back, but they had my DSLR in the bottom of frame, now mounted the sony further forward to get a cleaner image).

Here are some shots to judge quality. Colors are very nice without the blow-outs on white when its sunny.

Deployment shot at 120 fps - link
Wingsuit Rodeo shot at 120 fps - link

Both shots have slightly been cropped to a smaller aspect ratio.
Color has not been touched (aside from overlayd flares on transitions)
So what you see, is what comes straight out of the camera.

I did remove the front lens on the casing, this removed a slight mist/glare I could see when the sun hit the camera/casing sideways.

overcast/dark conditions shot at 120 fps - link
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Nice!

I've been wondering how to leave off the front cover of the case while making sure the camera is held snugly. A bungee would stop it falling out, but there is still room for the camera to move forwards and backwards within the housing. I didn't want to add more padding in the rear of the case since it means the lens protrudes more.

Could you post a pic of how you've done it please?

Thanks!

Aha! I thought the front cover was a one-piece mould. Given the replacements available, this is a nice solution. Though they are rather expensive from what I've seen ($50 for 3 - one of each type):
http://store.sony.com/p/Sony-Action-Cam-Replacement-Doors/en/p/AKARD1

I was also wanting to mount the camera to the side of my helmet rather the top (better framing IMO, door clearance and I can change the orientation from HD to Head up).

A small C-Bracket is the obvious choice but I also had an idea to drill 2 holes into the side of the waterproof case so that I can mount it directly. I just need some low profile 'flanged nuts'. The flanged nut would sit flush inside the case with some of the nut poking through the holes and slightly into the helmet. There appears to be enough room between the camera body and the case for this to work.

Something like this would be ideal as a wider flange spreads the forces across the case.
http://www.harrisbipods.com/HB2R.html

Or maybe even better, a strip of metal on the inside with countersunk nuts coming out to mate with the helmet.

Saying that, the direct mount idea would be a pain to switch between head-up and head-down compared to a C-bracket and I'd always be worried that the plastic case would smply not stand the strain and crack at some point.

expect to see more mount options available from third party and Sony in the next month.
There are some cool new 3rd party options for GP coming soon too.
RePlay is offering even more options (they have the most in different grades.
Seems this is the year of POV.

I'm not Trunk, but am doing a comparison of the cameras that won the shootout Part 1.

4K is measurebation. It's 15fps, so useless for any high motion unless stop-motion/stutter is part of your art.
2K is more useful, but again, at an expense.

If the editing system can't manage 2 or 4K (most can't), there is little point (don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of 4k, just not in this particular environment. The chip gets hot as hell, and battery life is terrible, and the framerate is not smooth. Bigger pictures/jerky frames = viewer headache.
So far, my impression of the GP3 is that it's very nice but it certainly doesn't match the hype that has preceded its launch.
The Silver...might as well just keep the GP2. I returned mine this morning.

They just released an updated version of the Playmemories Mobile app in the Google play store, and I was able to successfully connect the camera to my Samsung Galaxy Nexus and Asus Nexus 7.

This has solved my problem too . Wouldnt connect before .
Awesome little camera . Cant wait to see how it stands up to GoPro3.