soulbabel

Sony Action Cam - GoPro competitor (HDR-AS10 and HDR-AS15)

http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/29/sony-action-cam-hands-on/

it'll ship in late September or early October for $199, wifi version for $270

16-megapixel Exmor R sensor (great for low-light shooting) and fixed-zoom Carl Zeiss lens, complete with SteadyShot image stabilization, a 1080/30p capture mode and a 720p option at 120 frames-per-second

removable storage (microSD), a swappable battery, and includes HDMI, USB and audio input jacks

Judging from the video review, it doesn't look like the camera has a rotatable lens like the Contour, though. There's a bunch of skydiving clips of the camera top mounted included in the video review.

http://www.digitaljournal.com/pr/859169

The HDR-AS10 and HDR-AS15 are both equipped with a Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar lens, with an ultra-wide 170° viewing angle. They also have back-illuminated Exmor R CMOS image sensors, which offer superb low-light performance and support Full HD video.

Sony includes a ruggedized, waterproof housing with each camera. The housing has a universal tripod mount, and is waterproof down to a depth of 197 feet (60 m).

These lightweight and rugged wearable action camcorders weigh only 3.2 ounces (90 g) and they record at resolutions up to Full HD 1920 x 1080p at 30 frames per second (fps). They also support other shooting modes, including a 2x and 4x Slow Motion Video Mode. The 2x Slow Motion Mode supports 1280 x 720p HD resolution video capture at 60 fps. The 4x Slow Motion Mode supports 1280 x 720p HD resolution video capture at an amazing 120 fps.

More specifications on this page:
http://presscentre.sony.eu/content/detail.aspx?ReleaseID=7925&NewsAreaId=2

From what I can tell, the wifi compresses the footage to upload to that google playmemories site. Your best off, to pop out the camera and release the card if you want full res. But for debriefing the wifi may be alright dependent upon speed.

The biggest selling points are size, battery life and 120fps @ 720p. The mounting seem to leave a bit to be desired, but not 100% until I physically have one in my hands.
Trunk's Blog
HYPOXIC's Instagram
Like HYPOXIC

Anyone who had chance to actually hold the new actioncam, have any idea - is it possible to safely mount this actioncam as side mount to helmet by any available mounting systems?

I saw the headband mount, however it is not exactly the same. Maybe there are there some holes for screws in any of mounting systems to side mount to flat surface on side of helmet?

Thank you
The Earth is Art, The Photographer is only a Witness
http://adventure.lv/

I had one in my hands at the sony store yesterday. It looked like with some work with a dremel and a drill you could modify the headband mount, to mount on the side of a helmet with a flat side.
I did not get to take any video with it, I really interested in how it compares to the contour and gopro.

"You can tell by the sample footage, that GoPro still has a better image (also confirmed this with a reputable source). I'm suprised they are releasing the camera with a quality like this when the GoPro clearly looks so much sharper and cleaner."

[:/] ??? That's very surprising (& disappointing).

http://youtu.be/7mHRGZio8g8

This is the cam in 120p mode (lower resolution). I have not jumped it yet, as there are differences between pre-production and production units. I've only had pre-production until this morning.
However, I don't agree that GoPro is cleaner/sharper.
We have several jumps (among other things) scheduled for Wednesday with 5 POV cams for comparison purposes, all shooting the same things (not all skydiving).
One thing for certain, the Sony Wifi control actually works.
Like each of the cams, it's going to have its issues. So far, what I like best about the AS-15 is that it does not artificially grade the color and reduce gradients to save bandwidth.
Now that I can speak on the cam, I'm really disappointed that Sony opted for AVC vs AVCHD, simply to make Apple users happier. Quality sacrificed for laziness... it's unfortunate.

I did update my article and shot a small video comparing the gopro 2, contour+ and the AS15. The actual quality looks a lot nicer than the pre-release videos posted. So I take back what I said about the quality. It is a tad softer than the gopro, but not extremely noticeable.

As for the head band alteration, use the waterproof one not the non version. Although the camera is tiny, I feel that is a really bad idea using the non-version since it exposes the lens and does not seem very skydiver friendly. Remember the lens is non-replaceable. I think top mounting is still your best bet with this camera. The camera itself is very tiny.

One note is the display is on the right side vs. the left side so all your "side mounted" left side flat helmets will be useless unless you mind covering up the display. Which is ok, until you want to check your battery level or what not. There is a small led on the back of the camera that shows it is recording.

Oh yeah and the wifi is nice if you have a dedicated computer or smart device for each camera on the dz. Otherwise its a royal PIA since it only works on a adhoc network. The features are nice, but the connecting method makes it such a hassle. By the time you go thru all the menus to connect, you might as well either connect it via usb or the micro HDMI connection.
Trunk's Blog
HYPOXIC's Instagram
Like HYPOXIC

Oh yeah and the wifi is nice if you have a dedicated computer or smart device for each camera on the dz. Otherwise its a royal PIA since it only works on a adhoc network. The features are nice, but the connecting method makes it such a hassle. By the time you go thru all the menus to connect, you might as well either connect it via usb or the micro HDMI connection.

Mark, not having this issue here. I have been using a Samsung Galaxy 3, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, and an iPhone to connect, it opens right up once the app was installed. If the camera is on, it's instantly connected. Are you using the PlayMemories MOBILE app or the PMOnline app?
The irreplaceable lens is not ideal, and I'm really disappointed it's not AVCHD. The original intention of this cam was AVCHD, but because of Apple's very f'd up licensing at the time (now Mountain Lion can read), Sony opted for h.264. Sacrificed quality for access.

Size comparison

I don't have a problem with connecting, just think it would be a lot nicer if you could set it to connect to an infrastructure vs. adhoc. It basically means you have to disconnect your device from your current wifi network to connect directly to the device vs. just connecting to it as if it was a server.

It also means that if there is more than one AS15 that you would like to debrief you need to go to your device's settings and select the new network vs just a selection in the program. At least in the iphone vs. if you are connect as a remote you can not tell it to send files, you have to open the cage, and then select send, go to your device and select the adhoc network. Just by the time I do all of this seems easier to just grab a cable. Don't know... Just my thoughts, maybe there will be an upgrade.

Also, here is the underwater head band dismantled. Looks like you can remove the bosses, add some weld nuts to the inside and affix to your helmet using this bracket. Not ideal, but it works
Trunk's Blog
HYPOXIC's Instagram
Like HYPOXIC

Thanks,

Will definitely look closely at tomorrow's comparison shoot. I'm starting to think Sony may have dropped the ball w/this camera. Too bad, as they could've cleaned up w/it. I don't need WiFi. I need good video quality in a light weight package.

So far, everyone has reported a great image. At high frame rates, it's the best of them. It's small. It's lighter weight. It has a substantial, real, mount.
It may or may not be optimal for your helmet if you want a side mount; the display is on the right side (not an issue for me, personally, but I likely won't side mount, either). Colors are natural; it's easier for an editor to post great content. File format is standard, so it's easily worked with both Mac and PC systems. It could have been an even better image had Sony not bowed to the idiocy of Apple's older OS.
I'm not clear on why you feel "Sony has dropped the ball" in a game that hasn't been played yet. GoPro is a formidable competitor, well-entrenched in every sport. I don't think Sony is out to "put GoPro away" but rather to offer an alternative that is smaller, lighter, and has appeal where a GoPro may not be appropriate, or for those that want a slimmer profile.

"So far, everyone has reported a great image."

Trunk didn't think that about the image quality. You & Trunk know far more about this stuff than I do. When I heard that Sony was developing this camera. That they were using their Exmor-R sensor. I was hoping for a significant improvement in image quality over the GoPro. It's sounding like that's not going to be the case. Not from the very little data that's come out so far.

I leave it you more knowledgeable guys to give it a thumbs up or down. I wasn't expecting to read some of the negatives I've seen on it, so far. That's all. Let's see how your comparison shoot came out.

the "HOUSED" size is not that different to the gopro either, the camera might be smaller but the overall mounted size seems pretty much the same,
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

"So far, everyone has reported a great image."

Trunk didn't think that about the image quality.....

From Trunk's article : "The actual footage produced is fairly similar if not better than the GoPro 2. It also suprisingly seems a lot wider than the GoPro 2 at 1080p Wide"

I was citing his original article.

"I did update my article and shot a small video comparing the gopro 2, contour+ and the AS15. The actual quality looks a lot nicer than the pre-release videos posted. So I take back what I said about the quality. It is a tad softer than the gopro, but not extremely noticeable."

Better, but still not what I was expecting from Sony. Time & multiple reviewers will tell... I don't have anything against Sony. I already own a camcorder of theirs. It shoots beautiful video. I was hoping for a much lighter/cheaper/easier camera to fly. The image sensor used, plus Sony's reputation, led me to expect more than I'm hearing from this camera. We've got all winter to view N read the good, bad, & ugly. Let the Games begin :P.