sundevil777

Nikon D5100 vs Canon T3i for son's college classes

He is in a visual communication program (won't be used for jumping), and will be taking photo and video courses this year. 2 obvious choices are a Nikon D5100 or Canon T3i that will satisfy both photo and video requirements.

Specs:
DSLR photo camera with hot shoe
Must have manual focus, shutter speed and aperture control
Must have manual white balance control
Mic input availability (Mini-Stereo or XLR)

Questions:
1) It seems that you have to get an expensive video camera that meets all of those requirements, but I'd like your opinion if you agree or not. This is related to whether it is better to get a separate photo and video camera. His instructors have made it clear that either of the cameras mentioned would be good.

2) Does either camera have a better reputation for reliability/durability?

3) Any other contributions or considerations I haven't thought of would be welcome.

Thanks!
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

very little experience with the Nikon, but if starting out fresh....one couldn't do wrong with either cam. I'm a big fan of Canon, I appreciate their dedication to customer service and updates. I prefer the ergonomics of Canon, and there are a lot more third-party products available for Canon. But that doesn't make the picture any better.

Unless you have a collections of glass...both bodies are well-suited and both will produce great photos.

The one thing this nikon does not have, is a built-in focus motor. This is only a problem if you want to shoot autofocus (duh) with non AF-S lenses. Most Nikon lenses sold these days are AF-S so unless you want to shoot specialty lenses or older lenses this is no issue. Just something to be aware of.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I got the T3i - Holy cow batman, these things are complicated, I mean extremely versatile. :D A lot has changed since the Pentax models of the '80s.

Just in the few hours I've been checking it out, it seems like some things aren't covered in the manual or Busch's compact field guide that I picked up. I guess I should get the complete Busch's guide, or maybe the for dummies guide. If anyone wants to suggest a particular guide book for a novice that would be great.

The first mystery is the auto focus 'quick mode' for still shots, which seems to allow live view pics to be taken, but the autofocus won't settle down for the other autofocus modes when in live view mode. When out of live view, the autofocus doesn't have a problem, which seems weird. Also, I can't find any details of the quality settings in either manual I have.

I did get it for a great price, $540 from a local shop (and an authorized Canon dealer) for the kit with the 18-55 lens.

People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am