airbigdaddy

Huge fan of Swoopware's TandemVids

I'm kicking myself for just now getting around to this.

I wanted to share my outstanding experience with Swoopware's TandemVids software. I've been using it for my tandem videos for about a year now (so, I've probably edited about 600 tandem videos with it), and I couldn't be happier. I mostly burn standard DVDs and pics (on the same disk, which saves money by only using one disk per customer), but I burn a good number of AVCHD (high-def videos) for tandem students I know, as well as experienced jumpers whom I film on fun jumps and AFF students in our program that I shoot inside video of.

The software is very reasonably priced, not too hard to set up (though it does take a bit of time to fine-tune it exactly the way you want to put out videos that are truly “yours” and not just run-of-the-mill), and once you DO have it perfectly ready, it takes no time at all to spit out quality videos, without having to babysit the computer. I'd guess I spend roughly two to four minutes actually at my computer per video (two minutes when I'm in a hurry, and spending the extra time adding additional slow-mode sections that aren't already built into my templates when I'm not slammed for time), plus a couple extra minutes when pictures are part of what the customer buys (not a necessary step since the software auto-grabs the pics, but I like to delete any shots that aren't great).

Then, after that, I leave my video room to do other things, and about five minutes later, everything is completely done. (Other guys at our DZ have faster render and burn times, but that's how long my system takes.) So, from start time to stop, it's between seven and nine minutes total for just video, and between nine and 11 minutes for video and stills. (Like I said, I could just have it burn ALL the pics I take and save myself a couple minutes per edit, but I hate sending students home with any “test shots” in the plane or any others I take that aren't high quality.) As computers get faster and cheaper, getting REALLY fast render and burn times gets more and more accessible, even on a budget. I don't pack for myself, and though it's a tad tight, I can do a back-to-back, edit two videos and pics for two different customers, interview my next two customers, and be on my way, all in 20 minutes if I have to.

The software will auto-upload students' videos to YouTube if you like (and you can even have it use different, royalty-free music compared to what you give the student to take home, and it then auto-generates an e-mail with the YouTube link to send to the customer.

Of our eight vidiots who typically work here, six of us are using it, and I've yet to hear anyone say he or she isn't completely happy with it. Our plan is to require ALL of our video staff to be able to upload to YouTube and/or offer AVCHD/Blu-ray by the beginning of next season, and while this software isn't the ONLY way to do so, it certainly seems like the perfect fit.

I have no idea if the Mods will pull this since my post looks like I'm trying to run a free ad for this software, but I wish another videographer had told me how great it was a while back since it makes my life so much easier and puts out a much more professional-looking product than when I was doing linear edits before.

Edited to add: I've had AMAZING customer support/tech help from the guy who created the software. Very responsive and helpful, and not at all annoyed by stupid-ass questions.
-Lambert-

"It's better to be looked over than overlooked."

Since you are paid/incentivized to promote this product that is a direct ripoff (even the architect of the product admitted he stole the concept and features from another product used in the skydiving world), we'll just leave this thread as it stands.

It's sad to see a skydiver steal from another skydiver. But, it's not the first time, and I'm sure it won't be the last.

Since you are paid/incentivized to promote this product that is a direct ripoff (even the architect of the product admitted he stole the concept and features from another product used in the skydiving world), we'll just leave this thread as it stands.

It's sad to see a skydiver steal from another skydiver. But, it's not the first time, and I'm sure it won't be the last.

I really don't think he is a paid spokesperson for them at all.

@DSE: Huh?????????????

Maybe there's some background I'm unaware of that led to your comments about it being a ripoff, but on a completely separate note, how in the hell did you come up with the fact that I'm "paid/incentivized" by them at all?

In fact, I take that as a bit of a slam. While you and I may have never met in person, we've worked together here and there from afar, and we know a good number of the same folks, so I would guess you likely have a good guess as to my character.

I take offense to the fact that you think I could be "bought" to sell something I didn't believe in. I bought the product, I think it works well for me and the other people using it here, and I figured I'd pass that on to anyone else looking for editing software. Nothing deeper than that. Sorry to dissappoint.

I suppose if I had written a glowing review of my P.D. Pulse (which I've done before publicly), you'd tell people I was a paid spokesman for them too? (And, no, I have no sponsorship at all by P.D.)
-Lambert-

Oh, and to add: I assume everyone else who is using it here and likes it is also paid or incentivized? That would be news to them too.

If you've got a beef with the developer or the software, that has absolutely zero to do with me, so please don't drag my character into it.

Along the same lines: You enjoy flying certain gear, but if I became a believer in a story (that had nothing to do with you) that implied the manufacturer of your gear of choice was a piece of shit for some reason (whether the story was true or not), I wouldn't go publicly calling you one of their paid or incentivized lackies. Instead, I would focus my attention and energy on what it was I had a problem with in the first place.

Fuckin'-A, I try and write a review about something that I thought others might find helpful. In typical D.Z.com fashion, even THAT gets fucked.
-Lambert-

Lambert, apparently I was misinformed that you were given free software.
I do know I've shared quite a bit of phone time with you on the subject of video, and like everyone else I've done phone time with in this community, it was a freebie, opposed to the paid phone support my company does for software distributors.

You gotta admit, it seemed "off" to see you posting a review of someone else' product when you've gotten a lot of phone support from me, some of it at the cost of a load I skipped in order to help you out.

Either way, I publically apologize, I apparently was misinformed and made an error.

It wasn't a slam on your product at all, or a slight against you or the help you were kind enough to give me in the past. I really do appreciate the help you gave me regarding P.A.

In the past, I was simply on the fence about which way to go (since, as you could likely tell from our phone conversations, I knew very little about non-linear editing at the time), so I was shopping around and asking questions everywhere.

What it came down to was simply that another video guy here, one who has been doing video at Orange even longer than I have (meaning before 1995) went with a trial version of Swoopware and liked it. Since I knew I'd have "in house" tech support since he had more familiarity with that software than I, he and I both bought full-blown, fully priced copies of Swoopware together.

It was no more a slam on you or P.A., or a sign of unappreciation for your volunteered time, than it would be to buy a PC after discussing a Mac with a Mac person, or vice versa.

Hope that clears things up.
-Lambert-

+1

The software is awesome. This is the second season that we have been using it and we (8 full-time video girls and guys) have been singing it's praises since. Like the OP said, it's fast. 2-3 minutes at the computer pack really fast and the video is ready to be handed to the customer within a 15 minute call. We have gotten a huge response with the youtube uploads as well. In my opinion it is awesome awesome awesome. And you can make the videos as "customized" as you want so that you as a videographer can give it those little touches that make it your video and not just a cookie cutter video.

You can see some of the videos on youtube.com/skydivenewenglandvid

If you go to www.youtube.com/skydivenewenglandvid you can find a plethora of videos made with swoopware. That is our DZ's youtube channel and most all the stuff there are swoopware vids.

Not sure if this was mentioned before......not only does the swoopware upload the video to youtube, it automaticlly sends an email with a link to their video on youtube. Really cool stuff

About 3 years ago I asked Mic if tandemvids could reproduce the outside video we were shooting at our DZ and at first it looked like the picture placement had Mic stumped because we place pictures of the skydive in the video and the software could not do that effectively, then he placed a tick box to open up a separate Vegas window for dragging those pics into the place holders. He solved that problem and I had not even bought the software yet... Needless to say I bought it and now I use it all the time but not in the manor most do for speed. It still takes me 30 solid minutes to complete a video but I do that when I have time of if its for a special subject. We have an editor at our DZ that gets most of what we shoot. I've talked till I'm blue in the face about it and they still do shit the old way (these are kids too)
I highly recommend the software, Mic is a skydiver/instructor/BASE jumper and software designer that will bend over backwards to make sure your satisfied. I have much respect for him, and tandemvides...
The end result is directly connected to the effort applied

I've just started using Tandem Vids and couldn't be happier - time from starting to process footage til punter is watching product is about 3 minutes. Render / burn time 10 minutes.
Any time I've had an issue the answer has been just an email away. Stacked with features I'm yet to explore.
Cheers Mick - you will make my summer easy & hopefully profitable. ;)

2 wrongs don't make a right - but 3 lefts do.

Sorry for bumping my own post but - I had an issue which was effectively an id10t problem (self induced). I emailed Mick on Monday morning (he was having a coffee out in the back and beyond) & said that he would get to me when he got back home. By last night (Tuesday evening) he had trouble shot the problem and issued an updated version of Tandem Vids which works a dream - so that idiots like me can keep on keeping on.
Onya bro! :)B|:ph34r:

2 wrongs don't make a right - but 3 lefts do.

Another big vote for Swoopware. Mick Hardy is very responsive in bug fixing and open to new ideas. I've asked for and received several improvement to workflow that made importing pics easier. Now I just need to find a way to stop youtube from flagging the royalty free music incorrectly...

Blues,
Slim

I think there are now a number of tandem video editing packages available. The only other experience I have is with a different package.

I watched the intro video on how this works and although it looks to be a big improvement over the old school method, there are much more effective ways to streamline the editing process.

The good news is this one looks to be inexpensive assuming the $242 is a fixed fee and you do not pay per video produced.

Maybe sometime we could coax a real professional like DSE to review some of the offerings for everyone?

-Michael