linestretch

vegas 11 & gopro files

As much as I've read about file codec & 'file containers'....I still don't get it. If I wanted to render an edited file from a gopro (an MP4), what output settings would I use with vegas movie studio HD platinum 11. There's way too many options for me to grasp. I also have pinnacle and can render it right back to an MP4 no problem. I'd rather use the vegas since the pinnacle is very twitchy. Any help?
my pics & stuff!

I believe I'm using that setting also, do you think you could send them my way?

Vegas 11 Pro if that makes a difference.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

This screenshot should show you everything you need to know to render back to the 720p60.

Note at the top I've named it; you should do the same, and then click the "Save" icon after you've created the preset.
Name it something familiar like "GoPro60."

Keep in mind, this file will NOT play back on the GoPro. To do so would require some mods, and I don't know that the Cineform codec can be re-wrapped and played on the camera. I'll do some testing if that's really important, but not certain of positive result. The camera is not intended as a playout device.

I'm still missing something. I can't seem to get the same dialogue box you have. I started by clicking the mainconept avc/aac, the sony tablet 720p...then customize template. Is that correct? But custom settings aren't the same. It sucks not knowing what the fuck you're doing.....argh!!!
my pics & stuff!

I'm still missing something. I can't seem to get the same dialogue box you have. I started by clicking the mainconept avc/aac, the sony tablet 720p...then customize template. Is that correct? But custom settings aren't the same. It sucks not knowing what the fuck you're doing.....argh!!!

DSE is using Vegas 11 Pro, you're using Vegas 11 Movie Studio. They're similar, but not the same product (or price! LOL) That's where your confusion is occurring. ;-)

"If all you ever do is all you ever did, then all you'll ever get is all you ever got."

DSE is using Vegas 11 Pro, you're using Vegas 11 Movie Studio. They're similar, but not the same product (or price! LOL) That's where your confusion is occurring. ;-)

DSE uses both (and wrote the book on both). They use the same render template structures. FWIW, we spent a little time on the phone a couple nights ago, and got everything copacetic. B|

DSE uses both (and wrote the book on both). They use the same render template structures. FWIW, we spent a little time on the phone a couple nights ago, and got everything copacetic. B|

I have that book, it's been a huge help in learning the Vegas products! ;) The video concession at SDD uses Vegas Pro (and your Production Assistant), and I use Movie Studio at home now. I just noticed from the screen shots that he was running Movie Studio, and thought that might have been part of the confusion.

How much do you do with Movie Studio? I'd think if I had Pro available at home, I'd never touch Movie Studio... I already miss velocity envelopes when I'm editing at home now. :P

"If all you ever do is all you ever did, then all you'll ever get is all you ever got."

I divide my time between the two apps maybe...80/20.
It's important I stay on top of what MS doesn't have, and even though I try...occasionally I forget.
ingest/output are identical with two major diff.
MS doesn't read/decode RED files without hacking the internal settings, and it doesn't read/decode ARRI Raw files. Then again...if you're shooting these cams, Movie Studio isn't going to be your tool of choice.
Output options, Pro has some additional templates but all the render features of Pro are available in MS (excepting RED and ARRI output).
You know that you can split events, apply various speeds, and somewhat create the look of velocity envelopes? It can't be ramped, but it can be stepped.

You know that you can split events, apply various speeds, and somewhat create the look of velocity envelopes? It can't be ramped, but it can be stepped.

Thanks, that's what I've been doing at home, and even started doing originally at the school, but most of the video staff have switched to templates with velocity envelopes. I didn't really miss it at home until I had it available at the school. Oh well, I can always upgrade at home... it's only money! But if I upgrade, then I'm going to want Production Assistant.... and Twixtor. :P

I'd guess if you have the budget to be shooting RED or ARRI gear, the cost of Vegas Pro wouldn't be an issue for you. ;-)