Hellis

Night vision camera?

When I jump at night the video is really crap.
I was at the store looking for a night vision camera, and they handed me a $2000 camera that was way too big.

Is there any camera that has night vision (green IR video) that is reasonable large to put on a helmet?
Older models is also ok, as I might find a used one.

I have a Sony CX550v that has pretty good night vision on it. I don't have any video uploaded, but I'm sure you can find some.
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

When I jump at night the video is really crap.
I was at the store looking for a night vision camera, and they handed me a $2000 camera that was way too big.

Is there any camera that has night vision (green IR video) that is reasonable large to put on a helmet?

My old PC9 did that ok.

For about 145$ I bought Widlife Innovations Vantage AC5XC, which is a 720i lines night camera.
Yes, it's all plastic.
Yes, it does not look a incredibly professional videocamera.
Yes, it's got quite crappy instructions.
But for 145 $ it's an outstanding night camera.
It's not written but it works as follows.
In daytime it works as a standard colour videocamera and shoots nice videos.
In nighttime, it understands there is no light, it activated its 8 infrared LED's around the lens and starts shooting a monocromatic video (black&white with shades of gray).
Yes, it is up to 3-5 m away, but for a 145$ night vision videocamera I wouldn't ask for (much) more :)
Stay safe out there
Blue Skies and Soft Walls
BASE #689 - base_689AT_NO_123_SPAMyahoo.com

For information: the ACD5XC cames with that strange black trapeze that someway somehow you must adapt to your "connection" system: I did a trapeze hole in the 5mm plexiglass base I made.
Furthermore, originally there was no thread into that black trapeze: I did a 1/4"-20 UNC female thread into that black trapeze, so that in addition to those velcro straps, I also fixed the AC5XC with a standard 1/4" screw, using also a M6 - 30mm outer diameter washer B|

Stay safe out there

In addition to the AC5XC information I posted above, I want to say the following.
Depending on the environment you are in and/or what/where you are going to shoot, for my night urban action videos, I ended up using my Sony CX105 (fixed on my helmet with Cookie Liquid Flatlock) used in connection with (you can see it in my pictures above) E52 ACW Petzl Ultra Wide 300 lumen head lamp that I keep "permanently" on my FD.
Such a head lamp has got a nearly 180° coverage, plus a frontal range of illumination of 60 m, it produces an embarrassingly strong white light all around for a distance in front of you, so that you can use ANY standard videocamera to shhot coluir videos also during night.
The logic behind using a strong white light illumination for urban night videos is the following.
Once we do all our preparatory stuff in total darkness, then 5 seconds before the jump of my friend jump I light up my Petzl head lamp does NOT reveal me/us too much in advance with respect to whuffos looking at us fly with an open canopy in urban environment.
If they are not going to catch us because we are flying nighttime in the urban environment with a parachute, it is no (additional) danger if 5 seconds before the jump I light up a lighthouse on my head to shoot nice videos.
In fact, they come SUPER night videos coming out in colour B|
Stay safe out there