trunk

GoPro WiFi BacPac

I finally got a few cases of GoPro's Wifi BacPacs in house and as always I'm doing some testing to see how well they work for skydiving. As of right now, the basic functionality works amazingly. Turn on/off the Gopro, Start/Stop, get status and change settings. The transmitting functionality is still in the works (as of 6/7/2012) but they say it should be out any day now.

PLEASE NOTE: You do need to update not only the camera but the controller and the fob straight out of the box.

My journal on this testing the GoPro Wifi BacPac for Skydiving is located at HYPOXIC's Website.

A bitrate update should be out shortly too for the GoPro HD 2!
Trunk's Blog
HYPOXIC's Instagram
Like HYPOXIC

I've used the remote on previous weekend with a single GP2 and last weekend with two GP2s. No lock. I've been wearing the remote on the (included) wristrap under my wingsuit. No issues yet but what you ask is possible...although I believe unlikely. Still, location of the remote is something to consider...

Has anybody had a firmware update on the remote fail and manage to get it going again? It's stuck in the "updating" screen. If I let the battery run down, it goes back to the same screen as soon as I put it back on the charger. I'm pretty sure mine is bricked, but I'm hoping to be able to fix it instead of returning it.

Update: I fixed it the hard way. It turns out that the remote was willing to accept the firmware update but CineForm wouldn't send it because it couldn't read the remote status. I ended up writing my own program that uses the CineForm updater DLL and it worked. It isn't suitable for general release, but if anybody runs into the same problem let me know and I'll see if I can help.

I do remember when I was tandem video guy in a busy tandem boogie and there were many video guys editing at the same time and one of them pointed a bit to far away the remote control and all the camera started rewinding/stoping/etc. and everyone in the frequency of the remote control were cursing at the guy because it screwed up their video. Are these Wifi controllers will not interfere with other wifi gopro cameras in the airplane?

Ivan "Rock On"

They are "keyed" to a certain hotspot created by the wifi bacpac itself. You setup a name for your hotspot and then a password which pairs the remote to the wifi bacpac.

That utility sounds good, I had one update funny and ended up trying it on cineform for mac and it worked fine. Took a bit though.

That utility would be nice for at boogies I don't always have wifi to register the units and get them working.
Trunk's Blog
HYPOXIC's Instagram
Like HYPOXIC

I've used it on a few tandems, and for now just have it as an extra photo camera to try it out. I kept forgetting to turn it on, just another thing to remember, but I did get it turned on while hanging from the strut, and once in freefall with no issues.

I wanted to use the "one button on/off" feature, and for some reason that didn't work at all. The camera wouldn't turn on. So I switched back to normal, and it worked.

Now I just have it set to start in the mode I want, and have to press both buttons to start recording, and it works fine.

As far as bumping the button, I guess anything can happen, but it's a firm press, and right in the middle.

Blue Skies,
Wags

Mine did this...I just unplugged it and tried again. It worked the next time.

I will say I have had trouble with my wifi multiple times where it would freeze up with the camera on stand by and you can't do anything to it without the remote. The buttons will not work and you have to take out the battery.

I recently had to send my back pac and camera to go pro and got new ones but I haven't used the wifi on it again. Rather not risk it freezing up on me and busting a tandem video