jtiflyer

How much is acceptable

In terms of Photo noise?

I was looking at the other G12 thread and had an idea to put my 270ex II flash on my G12, set it to low light mode to increase the frame rate and see what happens.

As mentioned by many, a lot of these stills are for online posts or at most a 8"x11". Can noise really be seen in these instances?

I know a lot of us want zero noise, but that isn't always possible. So in terms of STRICTLY tandem photos how noisy can we get and still have good quality stills?

Its all a matter of taste. I used to be very allergic to any amount of noise. Later on i realized how some pros actually add noise to their photos. Noise in some situations can produce a nice effect. In some situations it is however less desirable.

Example of a photo where noise is added:
http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4123/4926466496_d3209fa7a2_z.jpg

It depends to a large degree what the subject matter is. I find noise most objectionable in large areas of the same color such as a big blue sky, or anywhere there is a large amount of dark colors or black. Unfortunately, these things occur a lot in tandem freefall pics.

It depends to a large degree what the subject matter is. I find noise most objectionable in large areas of the same color such as a big blue sky, or anywhere there is a large amount of dark colors or black. Unfortunately, these things occur a lot in tandem freefall pics.

www.trondteigen.com

Among skydive photographers Trond Teigen for example adds a lot of noise to some of his photos. He seems to have a style where he brings down saturation and adds noise and some other stuff. (for example take a look at the BASE gallery 2nd,3rd,4th,5th, 6th pics)