dldproductions

Canon Powershot G12 settings

Hey guys!
I've been playing around with the G12 for about a hundred dives and I always get a couple blurred pics in freefall (using it for tandem photography). Any input to get better results would be appreciated!

Anyone wants to share the setting they use?

On my end :
-TV mode: 1/500
-Iso: auto
-Continuous AF shooting
-"spot" focus (not sure about that one as I do not have my camera with me at the moment)..

Thanks for your input!

(P.S. please do not make this thread about G12 Vs DSLR for tandem shooting...TY)

-"spot" focus (not sure about that one as I do not have my camera with me at the moment)..

What is the center of the pictures that is blurry? If the tandem is off center, and you have center spot focus, that could be it.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

What is the center of the pictures that is blurry? If the tandem is off center, and you have center spot focus, that could be it.

Unfortunately it is totally blurred, not just the center. I've attached two pics, one good one bad so you guys can see what I'm talking about... I figure it is caused by movement and that there is not a lot to do, but since I don't know much about photography, I thought I'd get your thoughts on it...

I bought a G12 on Friday and returned it on Saturday. The picture taking and cycle times were what seemed to me to be too slow for catching the “money shots”.

I know what you mean, but I kept mine and for the price, I'd rather use it than sell it... DSLR is not an option for me...

Looks like motion blur caused by camera movement. Normally 1/500 should be fast enough to eliminate motion blur in skydiving, but if your camera is shaking much, this will happen. (make sure your camera mount is secure and not shaking)

Also the wider the FOV, the less likely you are going to get motion blur caused by camera movement.

Maby try to shoot AV mode, set the camera for a large aperture which is still reasonably sharp. (e.g. 3.5) and set ISO 200. This way you will have higher shutterspeeds on a clear day and much less motion blur.

I always shoot either aperture priority or full manual. This is because every lens has an optimal aperture where it performs the best. e.g. Canon 10-22 is sharpest at 5.6. Therefore in everyday use I prefer shooting at 5.6 usually and maby raise the ISO if there isnt much light availeable. A few test shots will give me an idea in which shutter speeds Im going to get. Unless im shooting flash, I try to avoid going below 1/500.

All lenses have a 'sweet spot' and most of the 'budget' or fixed lens' sweet spots are in the f4-f8 range.
Find yours:
Take your camera out for a photo shoot and shoot at it’s full range of apertures; switch your camera to aperture priority mode and then take multiple shots of the same object/scene at different apertures.

view the images at 100-200% in an app that shows the EXIF data while you're previewing (Lightroom/ACDSee, etc) and you'll quickly be able to see where the sweet spot is. In a G12, I'd bet it's right at f5.6 as BMFin suggests. It might be a half larger or smaller.

Set this aperture, and shoot in a variety of lighting circumstances (on the ground) with the ISO set to 200 and you'll rapidly gain an understanding of when the camera becomes noisy and where it is saturated and smooth.

Thank you very much Doug! Great stuff... I don't write much on this forum, but I've read my share and I want to personally thank you for all the time you take for us less knowledgeable ones :)

Would you know about any good action sport photography eLearning courses out there?

Thanks

the G12 is a nice camera, but since Im drunk, I wanna contribute some more to thish thread.

I just want so say that I concur what Videofly said that the G12 doesnt have enough high burst rate for good freefall photography.

Some people might tell you that they are such ninjas they can decide when to pull the trigger and that they never spray and pray

However the fact is that no one is quick enough to capture the few ecxact moments that stands out from the whole set. Frefall photography is exactly where you need a fast burst rate. This is what all professional sport photographers rely on. They dont need full frame bodies, they need more fps !!

Actually, having done the majority of my videography using 35mm roll film, I learned to capture the best 28 shots I could on each jump. As I filmed, I not only waited for the best shots and took pictures, but I also counted my shots. Now, with digital photography, I still line up the best shots and count them. Typically I finish each jump with between 25 and 35 shots. However, when I see that great shot and take it, I need the camera to take that shot when I need it. Not a second or fraction of a second later. And sometimes, a great pose presents itself where two or three quick burst shots are worthwhile.

It still amazes me when other photographers come down from jumps with 90 or more shots. After all, the students generally only want between one and five shots to print and show off.

Either way, the G12 didn’t seem capable of the shot on the spot or the occasional burst.

They're pretty good but not as good as my Canon G10.

One of them asked me to burn his pix to a disc and I tried but they wouldn't fit on a standard CD so I tried a DVD and there were too many for that as well.

Not a big fan of spray and pray.
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

Just hoping people realize there is a difference between shooting a burst on say exit or deployment and spray and pray.

Having said that I have been trying to find the sweet spot on a G12 for a while.

I also feel the pain of the slower frame rate of the G12

I wonder why all professional sport photographers use fast fps bodies for shooting sports? Pros like to shoot 10fps. Is it becouse they just spray and pray? No, it is becouse they realize they are just human and one fraction of a second can mean you either get the shot or you dont.

Ever wondered how many photos does a pro photographer take during a football match? A lot! How many of those wil be published? Sometimes zero.

Taking a shot like this with a slow fps camera takes a lot of luck. If your camera can do 10fps you need much less luck. If someone says they can take this photo everytime with pure skill and 1fps I call it BS.

Just hoping people realize there is a difference between shooting a burst on say exit or deployment and spray and pray.

Having said that I have been trying to find the sweet spot on a G12 for a while.

I also feel the pain of the slower frame rate of the G12

customizing your settings helps a ton. The G12 is LOT faster (fps) than the G10/11 on similar settings, and I see great shots from experienced people with G10/11s

that said - fully auto is safe

a couple people (thanks Jon and Sandy) helped me set up my C1 (outside/bright day) and C2 (inside/flash/dark days) customs, and I just choose my ISO on the day or take a slower rate and leave it on auto.

the one jumper, Jon, had a G11. When we put ours on the same settings and held down the shutters, I was getting 1.5 to twice as many fps on the G12

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants