haleyes

How much?

Riggers, and others who know: Can you give me a dollar amount value for a Safire 189 canopy with a collapsible slider, Vectran lines and around 500 jumps on the canopy and lines? The canopy has been jumped in Michigan.

A friend is selling, and I want to give him a fair offer.

Thanks.

larry

What year? Based on what you've said, we'd probably sell it for about $1000, less if it's never had a re-line (it's due for one now).

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

I'm interested in how much it's worth as opposed to how much it would sell for. When you say"..sell it for about $1000.00", what is your markup?

You think it needs a new re-line as well? I thought Vectran lines were good for much longer than that.
thx

larry

That's without markup. The canopy costs $1995 new. Less 25% (which is pretty much the standard reduction upon receipt), less $1 per jump ($500), brings it in at $996.25.

We don't mark up used items when we sell them. We do take a consignment fee on them, but we don't mark them up. Market value is market value...and about $1000 is market value for your canopy, at least in our area (not taking the lines into account).

Vectran lines certainly do need to be changed out. 400-500 jumps is about the limit. The thing about Vectran, is that it doesn't go out of trim like Spectra does. This means you're not going to get the funky openings that tell most people "Hey! You need new lines!!". Vectran just starts breaking...bad juju.

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.

I work in the biz, selling used gear on consignment, and nobody really buys used canopies of that style (non-crossbraced) for more than $800, unless they're barely used, and even then it's a tough sell. Really, I think if you pay more than $800, you're paying too much.

The DOM on the canopy is 1999. It has 210 jumps on the lineset. The lines look old, but not frayed. An interesting thing I've noticed on opening, the left front side is always folded under a bit before fully inflating. I've jumped it 5 times, and this always happens. Another thing: it takes twice as long to inflate than the F-111 canopy I'm used to jumping (5-6 sec instead of 2-3). Someone suggested that a ZP canopy takes longer to inflate the heavier the person. I'm around 225. any truth to that? I'm not building any delays into the pack job.

larry

Another thing: it takes twice as long to inflate than the F-111 canopy I'm used to jumping (5-6 sec instead of 2-3).

Different canopies open at different rates. F111 vs ZP might have something to do with it, but more likely is has to do with the differences in slider size, line trim and planform.

All canopies are different, just like all cars are different. Obviously a Chevy 2500 and a BMW 325i are different, so you would expect them to have different attributes. Some similar, some very different. The same is true with canopies!

Back to your question about pricing: Given that the canopy has about 200 or so jumps left on this lineset, I'd say you're looking at about $800 or so, maybe a bit more. That's what we'd sell it for anyway.

Like I said before, the $1000 price was based of the canopy without concession for the lines, if you were to sell it and it were in desperate need of a new lineset, you'd probably not get but $650-$700 for it. Since the lines still have some life left in them, you're looking at a bit more worth. With brand new lines, $1000.

Anyway, that's the way we'd price it out in our market. Hope that helps!