BMFin

Caravan handles

Does anyone have experience on operating a Cessna caravan that doesnt have a jump kit ? Were leasing a plane that doesnt have steps or handles and nothing that doesnt come off easy can not be installed. We have installed some small but acceptable solutions, but I would be interested to improve our design if someone has delt with the same issue.

EDIT: forgot to mention that were operating mostly just tandems + video from this plane.

I've seen an improvised video handle made of webbing that was passed through a handle (wood, metal or a piece of plastic tubing) and then attached inside the plane, at the top back corner of the door.

It makes it slightly easier for the vidiot to get in position with left foot in the door, right against the fuselage, one hand on the handle and the other on the door frame. Not much easier, but definitely easier than hanging onto the door frame with both hands.

Just hook your hand around the back edge of the door, and plant your left foot in the rear corner of the door. You don't need steps or handles for filming tandems, AFF, or even 4 way. They're useful in bigger formations where space in the door is ciritcal, but even then, you can rear float the door and have your body well aft of the door with the only thing taking up space is your foot in the door.

...and then, just before "Go!" tandem passenger stands on your foot, without TI noticing.
Happened to me once or twice :S

But you`re right. You can jump almost any aircraft without any additional handles.

dudeist skydiver #42

...and then, just before "Go!" tandem passenger stands on your foot

It's pretty rare, but not a big deal. The pax is generally not supporting all of their own weight, and even if they are, you can yank your foot out from under theirs with no problem.

Every now and again you'll get the TI with their left foot on top of yours, and in those cases I tend to just hang out and leave with them. You can throw the TI off balance or yank their foot right out of the door if you try to slip yours out from under theirs.

I leared to shoot video out of a Twin Bonanza, which had no steps or handles, so rear floating the door was just how it was done. Truthfully, when I shoot tandems or AFFs out of a plane with handles and steps, I tend to still just rear float the door because I feel like I'm too far away when I out on the step. For bigger formations or fun jumps I like to use them, but for work jumps I prefer to be 'up close and personal'.

At the moment we have made small handles out of rope.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC5uPbwnank

You can see them on the video @ 3:54

The TI usually wants to place his foot at the rear corner of the door to push the tandem out. Therefore I have been placing my other foot in front of the tandem and other inside as you can also see in the video.

I tried front floating, but I couldnt figure out how to do it and ended up funneling the exit. The plane has a "wind deflector" (or what ever the real term is) at the door which makes front exits really difficult.

I have been thinking of placing a long rope between the 3 connection points on top of the door inside. (see vid @ 3:54)

Miguel, did you loose your wrist mount altimeter on this exit? Looks like it from your 3 pictures?

By the way I agree you don't need the handles or stepmformtandems plenty of room and super easy once you get the hang of it. Just let the wind help you hug the fuesalage and slide off with the tandem at exit B|