soulbabel

Settings for Sony NEX cameras

I was finally able to mod my NEX-5n to support a tongue switch and tried it out this weekend. I was wondering what settings people are using and/or recommend for this camera.

Here are my current settings:

> Menu: Shoot Mode
Program Auto

> Menu: Camera
Autofocus Mode:
Single-shot AF
(Continous AF seemed to really slow down how many images/sec the camera would capture, however, I also think Single-shot AF has the weakness of overexposing images during the exit if I hold down the shutter release during the transition from looking into the airplane and following the tandem during the exit.)

Drive Mode: Continous shooting
(Continous shooting seems to offer a higher overall average rate of images/sec where Speed priority shooting seems to fill up the buffer really fast for 1 to 2 seconds and then gets a slower images/sec rate than continous shooting. I suppose preference for this setting is heavily dependent on shooting style, as I tend to just keep triggering the shutter versus moving into a spot and bursting at the angle I want.)

Object Tracking/Face Detection/Smile Shutter: Off

> Menu: Brightness/Color
Metering Mode: Multi

> Menu: Setup
AF Illuminator: Off

Auto Review: Off

Front Curtain Shutter: On
(Not sure if this should be on or not for the 16mm/2.8 pancake lens)

Touch Operation: Off
(The touch screen sits flush against my camera bracket causing random menu presses until I disabled this feature.)