bdazel

Velocity Sports Infinity for video

I'm considering purchasing an Infinity, but I haven't jumped one for video work. When I borrowed Javelins in the past I had a problem with the rig interfering with the camera. Basically the yoke came too far up on my neck and prevented me from tilting my head back as far as I would like while belly flying. Does anyone have experience using an Infinity for tandem and AFF videos? Does it have the same problem as Javelins?

I'm considering purchasing an Infinity, but I haven't jumped one for video work. When I borrowed Javelins in the past I had a problem with the rig interfering with the camera. Basically the yoke came too far up on my neck and prevented me from tilting my head back as far as I would like while belly flying. Does anyone have experience using an Infinity for tandem and AFF videos? Does it have the same problem as Javelins?

It's possible that the rigs you borrowed weren't cut the size they would be for you, and that was causing some of your interference.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I have over 2000 jumps on Infinity containers and have never had a problem with the rig limiting any of my movements. After jumping all the major US rig manufacturers, I personally will jump nothing but Infinity because they have the best fit/comfort and complete freedom in the harness.

When I borrowed Javelins in the past I had a problem with the rig interfering with the camera. Basically the yoke came too far up on my neck and prevented me from tilting my head back as far as I would like while belly flying.

Let me guess, a side mount camera, and the back corner of the camera mount would catch under the yoke/shoulder area?

I had that happen to me a couple times, but it was with a Racer, and only when I would look up and to the side. It was also after I repositioned the L bracket for what I thought would be 'superior' camera placement.

Turns out it wasn't 'superior', it was too low and allowed for that type of interference.

Either way, given the multitude of helmets and camera mounting options, different sizes of jumpers, and different sizes of rig, the problem you had isn't a Jav problem, it's a 'you' problem with those Javs.

The only way to tell if one rig or another will work for you and your camera helmet is to jump it. The real solution is to buy the rig you want, jump it, and if there it interference, just re-do your camera helmet to eliminate the problem.

No, top mount helmets. It is simply a matter of the yoke being so high that it interferes with the neck and helmet when you bend your head at the more extreme angles. It's not specific to me because I've watched several people who have the same problem. In fact, it's pretty much understood at my DZ that you don't buy Javelin if you want do video work, and those who do end up complaining about it more times than not. I'm actually surprised that it is not more widely discussed elsewhere. Perhaps were all just shaped oddly here. But with that said, I know a whole lot of people elsewhere do use Javelins and have no problems. I'm just hoping that somebody else noticed the same problem with Javelins and can weigh in on whether Infinity is similar, as it is one of the few rigs that I haven't jumped.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I have been jumping Infinity rigs for 12+ years and never have had a problem with the rig interfering with video (or any other problems). As long as the rig fits you, you should have no issues either. It's good to see you are finally making the leap Infinity rigs!! After all you packed mine so many times you should know them pretty well :P

DJ Marvin
AFF I/E, Coach/E, USPA/UPT Tandem I/E
http://www.theratingscenter.com

I have many video/photo jumps on Infinity rigs and have flown on all axes in those jumps. I have not experienced that problem... ever. My rigs were both custom cut for me.
There is an art, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss. Pick a nice day and try it.
-- Douglas Adams

it's pretty much understood at my DZ that you don't buy Javelin if you want do video work, and those who do end up complaining about it more times than not. I'm actually surprised that it is not more widely discussed elsewhere. Perhaps were all just shaped oddly here.
Thanks for your thoughts.

I have jumped Javs for awhile, some custom built for me and some not. I've never had a problem with them like you're speaking of, top mounted, side mounted, whatever. I currently have a custom Javelin AND a custom Infinity and they both rock. Does everyone there use the same rigger for their repacks by chance? Or does the same person measure them for their custom gear?

Sunpath has been making awesome containers for years and there are WAAAAY more videographers in the world who love their Javelins for camera (and any other type of jumping) than there are people at your dropzone even! ;) I don't have the most camera jumps in the world to draw on, but this has been my experience.
$0.02

pope

I've jumped Mirages for years, and you're right because the yoke is so low. Problem is, every Mirage I've owned eventually lost its shape and ability to close correctly in order to protect the bridle sufficiently for freeflying. Maybe it's just my bad luck - I don't know. I had a nasty premature opening once so I'm a little sensitive about that. But that's why I'm looking at alternative options.

Thanks for the thoughts everyone.

I'm beyond "sensitive" about issues like premature deployment.
That's why I choose Mirage...
My oldest Mirage rig was made in Jan 2002 and has 2500+ jumps.
The bridle/pin protection is still perfect. The stifinner in the main pin cover had to be replaced once, and the leg straps were repleced after 2300 jumps (they started to get fuzzy on the edges from the friction adpters...) I'm not using that rig right now, but I'm plannning to set it up as a once out of the blue needed 3rd rig. They're well built rigs. Mirage was pioneering freefly safety in the late 90s

I understand what you're saying, and most Mirage's seem fine. The problem is that the right side main closing flap doesn't fit tightly across the bottom closing flap. It doesn't hold the freely pud flap securely enough imo and the freefly pud comes out too easily. This doesn't seem to be a problem when new, but over time they develop that characteristic. Lately I've been playing around with different options such as increasing the pilot chute bulk nearer to the handle and moving the handle to the rearmost portion of the BOC. This does seem to help some, but it doesn't eliminate the problem. Like I said, I may just be overly paranoid. I spent years on the mat packing tens of thousands of rigs, so I'm pretty comfortable with what good bridle protection can look like. My Mirage's don't have that.