natkingkool

Sony CX 190

Hi Nathalie,

It seems that although the CX190 doesn't have Optical Image Stabilisation which makes it good for Skydiving, it also doesn't have a filter thread to put a wide angle lens which makes it very difficult to use.

There is a possible mod that can be done to attach a filter thread to it but it's not a simple process. You can check it here: http://www.gethypoxic.com/reviews-tests-hacks/hacks-and-mods/90-cx200.html

For the time being it seems that the CX 110/115/116/150/155 are still the best options if you can find one!
NuBa.

It seems that although the CX190 doesn't have Optical Image Stabilisation

Did you mean to say electronic image stabilization?

No, I meant OIS, because it doesn't have OIS it should be okay for Skydiving, like the CX200 and CX210 (although these two also don't have a filter thread). The previous series all had OIS and they weren't suitable for Skydiving, like the CX160: http://www.gethypoxic.com/reviews-tests-hacks/reviews/77-sony-cx160-tests.html
NuBa.

I've been using a CX190 for a couple of weekends now. It's proving to be a great little camera but these are a few things that you might want to consider.

There is no filter thread. You need to epoxy a step ring to the front of the lense housing to fit a wide angle lense. I used a 30mm to 37mm step ring and 2 element Raynox wide lenses (heavy) and it's been spot on.

The Hypeye D Pro works perfectly, as long as the flip screen is open. As the screen is rotated, when you turn the camera off then on again using the hypeye, the displayed images are in reverse, as are the menu items because once re-activated the camera doesn't know the display is flipped. It takes a few minutes getting used to navigating the menu backwards but isn't a problem

One big plus is the joystick control. After having touch screens on my last few cameras, I find the joystick is faster and easier to use.

The CX190 has electronic image stabilization and you can run it in active or standard modes, or turn it off, but either way, both modes worked perfectly in freefall. All other functions like focus, white balance etc.. can be set to manual control.

It's a sweet unit for freefall.. once you do the step ring modification.

[twenty2two] Make sure on the general settings, the "Turn on by LCD" is turned off. I know this works on the CX210 but haven't tried it on the CX190. Also, please try with a different HYPEYE, the LCD display flipping seems like a really old bug to me that should not happen.
Trunk's Blog
HYPOXIC's Instagram
Like HYPOXIC

I've been using a CX190 for a couple of weekends now. It's proving to be a great little camera but these are a few things that you might want to consider.

There is no filter thread. You need to epoxy a step ring to the front of the lense housing to fit a wide angle lense. I used a 30mm to 37mm step ring and 2 element Raynox wide lenses (heavy) and it's been spot on.

The Hypeye D Pro works perfectly, as long as the flip screen is open. As the screen is rotated, when you turn the camera off then on again using the hypeye, the displayed images are in reverse, as are the menu items because once re-activated the camera doesn't know the display is flipped. It takes a few minutes getting used to navigating the menu backwards but isn't a problem

One big plus is the joystick control. After having touch screens on my last few cameras, I find the joystick is faster and easier to use.

The CX190 has electronic image stabilization and you can run it in active or standard modes, or turn it off, but either way, both modes worked perfectly in freefall. All other functions like focus, white balance etc.. can be set to manual control.

hi there - I just bought a CX 190, is this hypeyeD pro something that I can turn the camera on with to record? Does it include an led I can see to confirm its on record?

I've just upgraded from a PC7 so I need lots of advice on how to get these dinky little cameras to work for me.

I just spent hours grinding out my sidewinder helmet to make it fit, so I'm determined to see it through

all advice welcomed on what I need to
1. switch it to record
2. see that it is recording
3. Take stills with it (can I do this whilst videoing?)

will be greatly appreciated.

I'll do the wide angle adaptation later

BR

mick

hi there - I just bought a CX 190, is this hypeyeD pro something that I can turn the camera on with to record? Does it include an led I can see to confirm its on record?

I've just upgraded from a PC7 so I need lots of advice on how to get these dinky little cameras to work for me.

I just spent hours grinding out my sidewinder helmet to make it fit, so I'm determined to see it through

all advice welcomed on what I need to
1. switch it to record
2. see that it is recording
3. Take stills with it (can I do this whilst videoing?)

will be greatly appreciated.

I'll do the wide angle adaptation later

BR

mick

yeah, the hypeye replaced the Cameye and is a remote controller for your camera that turns the camera on/off, starts/stops recording, selects modes and has a three colour LED indicator that tells you the status of your camera. All the info on it is the manufacturers website:

http://www.gethypoxic.com/

You can take stills with the CX190 while the camera is recording without interruption to the video recording. You need the hypeye expansion kit to connect the bite switch.

There's no view finder so the only way to see what it's recording is via the flip out display or connect it to an external display. I just plug mine into the TV to adjust the ring sight.

Hey bro, I have the CX190 and the HYPEYE 2011+, I still have to flip the screen and leave LCD screen facing out in order to keep the camera turned on right? Ive tried leaving LCD screen facing in and turning on with my HYPEYE button but doesnt work.. did you find the same thing?

Yep, unfortunately these cameras are not designed to be on with the screen closed. With them flipped open it works so that is a work around, unfortunately at the cost of some battery life. Kinda like the old tg1.
Trunk's Blog
HYPOXIC's Instagram
Like HYPOXIC