strop45

GoPro Mount

Yip, PLA printed by 3D printer is more brittle than ABS etc which has been injection molded. Because of the 'grain' its a little like wood. The solution is to use smaller layers, higher temperatures and higher fill volumes as well as aligning the 'grain' to maximise strength.

Do I trust it for skydiving with a gopro, yip I do. I'll report back more once its got 500 or so jumps on it.

In terms of snag proof, I think the current design is better than the standard GoPro mount, and I'm currently working on improving this by preventing the lines being able to wrap around the camera.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -- Albert Einstein

Something like this would be more snag resistant (especially if the screw wasn't protruding from the mount.

Kia ora,

Thanks for the feedback. IMO the square1 design looks less snag resistant than my design. Clearly we are looking at this differently.

I imagine using a line like a piece of dental floss - hold each end and rub across camera/mount - if one piece can go into camera/mount, then add another etc etc - can you jam lines? If yes, then you have a problem as deploying lines hitting the camera can snag it. With the square1 design it looks like you could get the line between the camera and the mount and jam it.

If you rap the lines around the camera/mount then possibly they will be more likely to tighten below the camera with my design and not release, however IMO this is less likely than the lines hitting the camera/mount from the side and snagging.

I have looked at producing a 'box' which covers the back of the camera going rearwards on the helmet so that the lines can't wrap around it at all, however if this leaves any gap between the helmet and the box, it introduces a bigger snag hazard than the wrap it solves.

Blue ones
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -- Albert Einstein

Be very careful exiting the plane with that mount, my bet is it snaps first time you get a hit from someone or forget its there and hit the door handle. Maybe encase it with resin or use it as a positive to make a mold. I just would hate to see you loose a camera or damage property or people below you.

Everything I have ever seen printed that hasn't been treated is extremely brittle. I don't even know if I would trust it at freefly speeds. my 2 cents, take it or leave it.
Trunk's Blog
HYPOXIC's Instagram
Like HYPOXIC

Hi Trunk,
Thanks for the comments. I have tested the mark I version by trying to torque the camera of the helmet and by hitting it with 3.2555 whacks of pressure from a piece of wood, i.e. I hit it just hard enough to risk damage to the GoPro case and could see no sign of damage to the mount.

I have now thickened up the outside mounts to 5mm, giving you effectively 22mm of PLA holding the GoPro, spread across 5 uprights.

I guess I could add a tether to the rear of the unit, however I don't think it is necessary. If you PM me an address, I'm happy to send a mount to destroy.

kia kaha

Wayne

about as snag free as you're going to get.

it's good of you to offer pictures of your mount, but that statement is nuts

take some lines and just pull them across your setup from about any direction

If you mean the plastic case about the camera - agree, nice and smooth. I like the effort in the design to try to make the piece parts smooth.

It's the assembly, not the pieces.

That snag factor is about the whole setup. And that's about as much of a snag setup as anything out there. It's a problem with the standard "camera on a post" type mounts - frankly, it's what people are trying to fix.

because of Go-Pro's - all the newbies are jumping cameras way too soon, and they exacerbate it with these mounts too

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

With the square1 design it looks like you could get the line between the camera and the mount and jam it.

IMO - that design is still less likely to initiate a snag. Though I do wonder why the back of it doesn't rise up higher (actually create a nest all the way around at least up to midway on the cam for the camera to sit in) and then streamline to the rear a bit more (probably to access the buttons on the cam). Fixing the mount to helmet interface is simply a line of gaffer's tape in case the seam isn't flush on assembly then

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I'm an automotive designer and work all day on Unigraphics and would love to have a 3d printer. I just bought the Swann hd camera similar to the Hero and making a mount with a 3d printer was the first thing I thought of. What kind of files do you use (step, iges, etc.)? Do you use your printer at work or is it just for fun at home?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Lord, let me be the person my dog thinks I am.