freefallcrab

NTSC PAL

I am finally moving out of the stone age and dumping my box full of Sony PC camera and accessories and looking at CX-series cameras. Still looking for a CX150 although the shops here dont seem to stock them any more as they are discontinued. I saw a 130 yesterday and thought about buying it until I remembered the CMOS/stability issues discussed on here a while back so I put my credit card away.

To get to the point, I have seen CX150s on sale on line but sourced from the US and therefore using NTSC format. Is this is still an issue for us Europeans or has the age of digital vice analogue recording and transmission rendered this problem irrelevant? All I want to do is record, edit on iMovie and then share with jumpers who may want to play the imagery on their TVs (yeah ok, and some family stuff of my kid growing up in for his grandparents back home). NTSC/Pal was last discussed on here a couple of years ago but with things moving on so quickly I thought I would check with the experts here.

Use your wings Johnny....

in HD, there is no NTSC/PAL, just 50i/p and 60i/p

However...if you're making standard definition DVDs...there is still NTSC/PAL.

That being said, iMovie can convert 60i to 50i with no problem. The internet doesn't care whether it's 50i or 60i at all.
DVDs are all but dead anyway, so might as well take the plunge.
FWIW, HD is on its last legs as well, so might as well catch up.:P

FWIW, HD is on its last legs as well, so might as well catch up.:P

whats next ??

I suppose it depends on your gambling nature. Industry pundits say UDTV. My feeling is that UDTV will go like EDTV, and we're probably looking at 4K as the next standard.

I was originally thinking 2k had a shot from the trade mags about 3 years ago but now its looking like 4K has a lot of momentum. It will be nice once they start to lock some of this in to start driving costs down instead of having high prices due to low adoptence rate.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Given that 4K cams are now available for "reasonable" prices (sub 5K$) and that there are already 4k projectors and displays available for "reasonable" prices, and Sharp/Panasonic/Sony already displaying 8K displays...it only makes sense that 2K/UDTV is already the 720p display of its generation.
I could be wrong...but kinda doubt it.

Bringing up an old thread -

In the action cam arena, where all I'll be doing is using videos on my computer and youtube etc, no burning to any form of disc, does it matter whether I set my camera to ntsc or pal?

I'm in the UK, so automatically I thought to set it to PAL, however that gives lower frames rates. 25 instead of 30 and 50 instead of 60.

Will it make the slightest difference which I choose? For non-slowed done, non-slo-mo, just regular filming of jumps, will one look smoother than the other?
Sky Switches - Affordable stills camera tongue switches and conversion adaptors, supporting various brands of camera (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic).

photognat

Pick NTSC/60FPS. 24/25P makes action look blurry.

That does not answer the question. PAL 50fps or NTSC 60fps are quite similar and I agree on the fact that 24/30fps looks less fluid than 50/60fps

If you plan to only use it on youtube or for yourself on a computer, no matter what you use, it'll work. By default, I'd use the NTSC setting because it has a slighly better frame rate than the PAL one and all computers or youtube can read it.

I don't think many people could tell the difference between 25 vs 29.97 fps. I'm sure I can't.

I would go with PAL if that is the UK standard, just because if you do end up editing footage together from different sources it can help if it's all the same.
But it really doesn't matter too much now I don't think.