Flinken

Balanced Optical SteadyShot (BOSS) CX730

I took my new Sony HDR-CX730E for a spin this weekend and so far i´m impressed with the performance of the camera. Follow the links bellow for some test clips.

The only down side was that my current Hypeye did not work with the camera. Pressing the button powered up the camera, but it turn off right away.

Top mounted
No enclosure was used
Exit temp about -20 degrees Celcius
52mm UV filter screwed on to protect the moving lens
BOSS standard
x.v.Color on
Focus manual (jumps), auto (Zoom test)
50p Quality PS (28M)
Rest of settings factory default

Tandem jump: http://vimeo.com/40017285
FreeFly jump: http://vimeo.com/40019137
17x Zoom test: http://vimeo.com/40019397

Edit: Downloading the original files from vimeo makes the camera more justice

Anyone else have any hands on with the new camera's with BOSS?

There looks to be some potential here.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Maybe BOSS and 50p together gives a smother look.

I put a side by side clip (CX115 vs CX730) on this link http://vimeo.com/40111217 to compare

Thanks for doing that - it's very helpful.

My only criticism is that you're putting the CX115 at an automatic disadvantage by side-mounting the CX115 in that comparison. Side mounts put the camera much more into the wind-stream, so all things being equal you are going to get more shake. If you could top mount both and show the comparison video, that would be awesome. Or if you can side mount the CX730 and it still isn't wibbly wobbly, then that's proof the BOSS technology is, well, BOSS-like.

Personally, I'm trying to compare this new camera with my current CX-550V. It seems to be pretty similar (not 100%, but close), except for the BOSS feature.
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

Or if you can side mount the CX730 and it still isn't wibbly wobbly, then that's proof the BOSS technology is, well, BOSS-like.

Yes, that´s what I’m aiming for.

But to do that I’ll first have to build/adapt a suitable enclosure and solved the Hypeye problem. Or maybe just put an L-bracket on the side for testing.

For enclosure I was thinking of modify an old TonyFly box I have.
I order a Sony RM-AV2 remote that I’ll adapt for my needs replacing the Hypeye.

I think it will take about 2 weeks before I can do another side by side test, this time CX730 side mount and the CX115 top mounted. No promises though.

And NO, none at our DZ uses/haves flattops for the moment.

Would it be possible for you to test the cx730 with 0.45 wide angle lens to compare the views with the same equipment as the cx115?

All my wide angel lenses are 37 or 30mm threading, the cx730 uses 52mm.
I could get me a step up ring, but it would most likely result in a lot of vigneting (with my current lenses).

Maybe one of these with step down could work http://raynox.co.jp/english/video/hd6600pro/index.html / http://opteka.com/OPT4XPF.aspx but it might still generate problems in BOSS mode since the front lens of the cx730 is shifting in angle relative to any added lens.

If I do a test I’ll report back.

About the Hypeye and CX730.

Flipping the LCD inside out made it possible to use the normal functions, i.e power On/Off and Rec On/Off.

My TonFly box mod is almost done, and I’m hopping to test the CX730 side mounted this weekend, no tandem or FreeFly since I’m filming FS4.

..... My only criticism is that you're putting the CX115 at an automatic disadvantage by side-mounting the CX115 in that comparison. Side mounts put the camera much more into the wind-stream, so all things being equal you are going to get more shake.......

As requested I have now uploaded a new comparison video with the CX730 side mounted and the CX115 top mounted (4-way only).

Link: http://vimeo.com/41370102

Very nice comparison. I really like the BOSS footage, especially compared to the cx115. However, should steadyshot have been off for the cx115? I'm not sure if that degraded the cx115 footage any.

Also, can you upload the raw BOSS footage for that jump? Thanks.

Try turning off power by LCD. Should be in the general settings.

The Power on by LCD menu seams to be available only for the PJ710 and PJ720 models.

The flipped LCD solution works fine for the moment.

There is no need to flipp the LCD to keep the camera on...You can pull the viewfinder out...and the camera still works even with the LCD closed...;-)

I picked up a CX760 (the US equivalent of the CX730) and jumped it on a few wingsuit jumps and a tandem jump this past weekend. My review can be summed up as, "WOW, this thing makes stable video".

Video of me diving to a wingsuit flock is usually (with my CX550v) wibbly-wobbly, but with B.O.S.S. on, it was absurdly smooth. It also worked wonderfully with a tandem, although I would say that you'll need a wide angle lens to do any close up work. (I used a .6 screwed onto the face of it for the tandem, and between the camera's wide angle and the .6, it was plenty wide for close up tandem work.)

One knock on it - the manual focus knob can be turned by the wind (over the course of one wingsuit jump, it lost focus), so this needs to be gaffer taped or otherwise restrained. I haven't yet tried to shoot using autofocus (was set to spot focus), but given some of the other features, I'll give that a try.

Overall, I <3 this camera. Pricey, but nice.
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

.... One knock on it - the manual focus knob can be turned by the wind...

You can change the function for the knob to other than focus and leave the new selected function on auto.

Do you have any sample footage with the .6 attached you could share?
What .6 did you use?

Any more feedback. I am in the market for a new camera.

How big is this camera compared to the CX100 series?

I need to buy a replacement cam but I have been holding off a bit because I was never thrilled with the CX series video. It always looked shaky compared to video from the older and now obsolete PC series.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P