Flinken

Balanced Optical SteadyShot (BOSS) CX730

I have been reading and researching a little more this morning. Some of the other videos on the web look real nice, especially the ones where they are putting them on rc helicopters.

Is the BOSS so fundamentally different from the previous OSS that is now an asset, when the OSS would previously make the camera un-jumpable?
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I'm absolutely sold on this BOSS system, absolutely stable and clear as no other.

Now just the wait to see if anything smaller is offered in Jan when sony releases their new lineup and hopefully cheaper along with outside hard case from perhaps cookie or bonehead or tonfly or whomever else.
For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

Has anyone had any issues with centrifugal force sending the BOSS out wide when cartwheeling or transitioning from a headdown to head up position? I love what see with the BOSS, but I haven't seen any more aggressive flying with the system yet. Just curious.
cheers.
pope

The camera will not stay on unless the lcd is either flipped open or the viewfinder is pulled out. Unfortunately there is not an option for "power on by LCD" on this camera.

I just pull mine out. Is there a problem with doing that?
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

Once it's pulled out or flipped the HYPEYE 2011+ can turn the camera on and off. Unfortunately it's just the nature of the latest sony cameras. We used to have this same issue with the TGx series of cameras. You can leave the camera for weeks like that with no battery drain.
Trunk's Blog
HYPOXIC's Instagram
Like HYPOXIC

Just a FYI, Sony and a number of other reputable dealers appear to be running a 200 dollar off sale this week, maybe next.

I am sure come this January or February I will be cursing myself for buying it at 1299, but the price seemed bearable right now, and it is a tax write off.

I deferred the pain a bit with an 18 month deferred interest deal from Sony. B|

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

has anyone also tried the Sony CX410?

ive heard its a cheaper version of the CX730?

also, does anyone have a definitive answer on the hypeye problem (i.e. does it work with the screen turned or viewfiner out?), as this is the only real issue i can see now, with the wide angle lens/front thread and steadyshot issues sorted...

Thanks!
www.ewancowie.com
www.facebook.com/ewancowiephotography

also, does anyone have a definitive answer on the hypeye problem (i.e. does it work with the screen turned or viewfiner out?), as this is the only real issue i can see now, with the wide angle lens/front thread and steadyshot issues sorted...

Thanks!

I have a CX760, which I think is the US version of the CX730, top mounted with a HypEye. When I want to turn my camera on, I pull out the view finder (which puts the camera into standby mode). When I want to start shooting, I press the button on the HypEye.

I don't have mine in a box, so it's a very simple thing to do. Might be more complicated if you have it in a box.

Sony unfortunately will not allow me to turn the camera on without having a screen flipped onto itself or the viewfinder pulled. Last I checked though, once the camera is set this way you can turn off the camera via the HYPEYE 2011+ and use it normally.

The only issue I've heard is if you are using a wide angle lens you will see odd shake. With that said, both of these cameras are super wide stock and you probably don't even need a wide angle lens.
Trunk's Blog
HYPOXIC's Instagram
Like HYPOXIC

Hi Trunk,

ive noticed that the CX410 doesnt seem to have the half moon connector? do you know if this is correct?

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/cam-high-definition-on-memory-stick/hdr-cx410ve/technical-specifications#tab

on the specs, it does seem to say that the composite out cable is sold separately. have you seen this before, does the hypeye work with some kind of bridge cable?

also, the cx410 seems to have no viewfinder, so the screen would have to be flipped...
www.ewancowie.com

Hi Trunk,

ive noticed that the CX410 doesnt seem to have the half moon connector? do you know if this is correct?

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/cam-high-definition-on-memory-stick/hdr-cx410ve/technical-specifications#tab

on the specs, it does seem to say that the composite out cable is sold separately. have you seen this before, does the hypeye work with some kind of bridge cable?

also, the cx410 seems to have no viewfinder, so the screen would have to be flipped...

hi,
i´ve been trying the cx 410 for some jumps, viewfinder doesn´t have to be flipped, "viewfinder power on" can be disactivated in the menu. It doesn´t have the half moon output , you need to buy the optional "multi" cable for that.
Also the BOSS system works fine but only WITHOUT additional wide angle lens. In the menu there´s the option "lens conversion" but only for a tele lens. On the more expensive models, in the "lens conversion" option you have wide and tele.
Anyway i tried to jump with a additional wide angle lens and the results of the BOSS system were not good.
Without wide angle the BOSS system works really well. The angle of the camera is quite wide, like a 26mm on a full frame stills camera or similar to a 17 mm on a non full frame stills camera.
hope this helps

Bruno
wuk??

http://www.brunobrokken.com

On the more expensive models, in the "lens conversion" option you have wide and tele.

This is true, but from my experience, it doesn't work very well in freefall. Nevertheless, the built in wide angle is wide enough to film, e.g., tandems and other wide shots.

Thanks!

This is a video shot with the CX-410 during the recent World Team event in Eloy, no extra wide angle ( as i mentioned before it doesn´t work with the BOSS system on the cx410 )
http://vimeo.com/album/2373146/video/65509737
wuk??

Hi Bruno-

With the adapter, does the Hypeye work? Do you have a link to the multi cable?

I really like the idea of the BOSS...and I am starting to research the cx430 (looks like it also does not have the half moon port).

DougH

Bruno,

Can you please post the footage with the wide angle? I am curious how it looked.

i didn´t keep that footage, basicly it looks like the BOSS system is over-compensating, it actually looked worse then with the steadyshot off.
wuk??

yeah, i have ordered a filter, but it didnt arrive in time, so i jumped without.

the shutter close happened on about half the jumps, only when tracking off...

Bruno, have you tried filming using an external wide lens on the 410 with the steadyshot OFF?
www.ewancowie.com

Recently got myself a Sony HDR-CX730E and this weekend I made my first jumps with it. Only got to do a few jumps, but so far I'm happy with the performance of the camera. I do not use a wide angle lens, just a UV filter to keep out the dust.

A short compilation of in-air and on the ground footage of the day using the camera:
https://vimeo.com/69569349

HYPEYE 2011+ worked as advertised, pulling out the viewfinder allows me to switch recording on/off using the HYPEYE.