virgin-burner

SLR's; couple questions..

so i was in an electronic shop today looking at SLR's..

nikon d7000, canon eos's and all that.

looks like they're all able to take really good video as well, but is it possible to also take stills while filming? or if you want to take stills you still have to put a videocam on your melon? who makes bite-switches for those cameras? are they simply plug n'play or do you have to "mod" your expensive SLR!?

what's considered the best bang for your bucks, what's gonna endure freefall the best..

i know this has been discussed a lot, but this would be my "first" proper stills-camera i suppose, so i'm a bit lost there..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

but is it possible to also take stills while filming?

Yes, as long as you have two of them on your head. ;)

I've put my Nikon's through the ringer and they keep on ticking! Generally the more expensive a body is the more robust it will be in it's construction. For Nikon It's a simple procedure to splice/solder the shutter release cable into a blow/bite switch. As far as I know there are no "plug-n-play" switches available for Nikon.

I made the attached picture many years ago...
Now we have newer models but the "10 pin" plug is still the same for the pro line Nikons. Ever since there's a 3rd kind of plug which first introduced with the D90. Nikon continued with those plugs on their "prosumer" cameras (like D7000 these days).

I can't imagine a single practical purpose for a feature like that. What's the point?

I think thats because we're all used to snapping a gazillion pictures during a jump, and than 'weed through the crap' to find a few good ones.
But if you're shooting (for instance) a wingsuit formation, and the only thing you care about is the final formation. Its actually quite handy to just shoot video of the buildup/seperation, and only snap pix when the thing is complete.

Saves jumping with 2 big cameras on your head. For sure, for tandems etc its not a thing you'd ever use. But during normal everyday jumping, shooting video and having the option the snap a moment at higher quality when it happens is welcome feature.

I know Ive used it quite a few times...
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?