Skydive2

Out of the box editing computer

I have been using an off the shelf HP running XP on a duel core, all I added was an external hard drive for storage and 4 gigs of memory. Works great and in total cost $600. Keep in mind that I edit using Pinnacle Studio, not sure if some of the other programs would require better hardware but there are a lot of others who would know.
.......I hereby reject your reality and instead choose to insert my own!

If the only purpose is editing videos, i personally would recommend getting a macbook pro or an imac, along with final cut x. Edits Gopro footage natively, Sony is naturally a bit less comfortable, as you have to convert the AVCHD footage first. Very easy File management once you're used to it, and very quick editing and easy color correction. The only downside of final cut is a lack of pro-features. But since you're not working in broadcast this will not be a problem for you.

Hopefully I don't start a mac vs pc brandwar, as i think this discussion is totally obsolete. If you say you don't like macs, don't get it. If you haven't tried, i'd recommend trying it. Especially video editing is big fun on a mac. just my 2 cts.

If the only purpose is editing videos, i personally would recommend getting a macbook pro or an imac, along with final cut x. Edits Gopro footage natively,

Hopefully I don't start a mac vs pc brandwar, as i think this discussion is totally obsolete. If you say you don't like macs, don't get it. If you haven't tried, i'd recommend trying it. Especially video editing is big fun on a mac. just my 2 cts.

Giving proper information is also important.
Apple software cannot, will not decode AVC nor AVCHD "natively." It is converted in the background, therefore it is not "native."
Other applications outside of the Apple environment often cannot deal with these re-encodes.
FCP, FCPX, iMovie also cannot edit multiple copies of videos simultaneously.
AVCHD isn't just Sony, it's also Panasonic and Canon.
Apple makes great systems, however, not always the best tool for the job.

On that note, what "broadcast features" besides XML are you missing in FCPX?

I'm looking for a good "out of the box" computer. I've been considering this:
http://www.performancepc.net/editing-systems/sc-225.html

You could build a much beefier system for around $900 in total if you buy the parts through newegg.com. Such a system would include a more capable motherboard, better video card, double the RAM, and an i7 CPU instead of the i5.

I know you want out of the box, but a build like this would save you about $400, render videos much faster, and perform all around smoother. And I'm sure that someone around your DZ is knowledgeable and capable enough to put it together for a jump ticket.

If I have the time in the near future, I can make a parts list off of newegg.com for you.

giving proper info...

Lol - that must be the reason, why all the video pro's I know, work with Apple, on the dropzone AND in real life (TV, movie etc)
Best, Prada

Maybe it`s just beacuse everybody (in the branch) uses them. You know - "the hype thing". Or "everybody uses it, so I should use it too" argument, like yours.
dudeist skydiver #42

giving proper info...

Lol - that must be the reason, why all the video pro's I know, work with Apple, on the dropzone AND in real life (TV, movie etc)
Best, Prada

Maybe it`s just beacuse everybody (in the branch) uses them. You know - "the hype thing". Or "everybody uses it, so I should use it too" argument, like yours.

I would rather suggest that the poster doesn't know many video pro's.:P

They're just tools.

They're just tools.

Exactly. Use whatever is best for you.

Side note: At college where I work, last year we opened new multimedia classroom with 21 Mac (other classrooms are PC). Since then (year or so) I`m getting productivity drop and constant bitching from students working on Macs. I don`t know weather it is because of the OS, or the mouse, or keyboard shortcuts... but I can`t see any of the advantages that Mac users point out. At least not the advantages that justify the cost.
Except that the whole room looks like USS Enterprise bridge and they do have better screens. :D
dudeist skydiver #42

My training company owns 25 MBP's and around 50 VAIO's. it's always fun to hear this debate from people that have had experience with only one or the other. Both sides often talk out of their ass. Apple definitely has prettier hardware and their software is a bit more "dummy proof."
"Be as creative as you can be (just be sure to do it the way we tell you to)."B|