Grisu

Tokina 11-16mm experience anyone? Slow AF?

Hey folks,

currently I'm trying to decide which new lens to get for my Canon 400D (Rebel XTi). I jumped the Canon 10-22mm for one season last year and was pretty happy with the results. But now I read about other options in the wide angle sector and stumbled upon the Tokina 11-16mm, which got some pretty nice reviews. The only bad thing I read about this lens seems to be a slow autofocus.
So here is my question: does anyone actually jump this lens and can give some advise if the slow (or just "slower" compared to the ultra sonic autofocus of the Canon 10-22mm??) autofocus might be an issue? I would use it mostly for tandems, occasionally on 4way FS, under canopy and of course on the ground.

Any advise would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Jan

One characteristic of all ultrawides is fast focusing. Everything is always nearly in focus anyway. Personally, I would manual focus it and leave it at the wide end. The DoF is huge.

Ken
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Until now I mostly used the autofocus during freefall. Worked well, except very few situations, e.g. larger groups seperating a bit on exit etc. Never really tried the manual focus though, but will definitely give it a try. The assumed autofocus problem wouldn't be an issue then...

So, nobody jumping the Tokina lens?

Cheers, Jan

that seems like a bump down in quality.. not really sure why you stop using the cannon glass for a tokina ? i get it if u dont have either and you are poor, but if u own the cannon anyway it seems like a regression IMHO.
dont let life pass you by

The Tokina is a very nice lens for the price. I am more familiar with the Nikon version, but keep in mind it does not have an internal auto focus motor, so your camera body needs to have the motor. That is typically the source of slower AF. However for ultra wides auto focus is a bit of moot point like others have mentioned. It also has great low light performance due to the larger aperture.
Sky Canyon Wingsuiters

Thanks everyone for the discussion! I bought the Tokina lens but didn't jump it yet, the pictures taken on the ground look great though! Its not as wide as the 10-22, but the overall quality of the images seem a bit better than the ones made with the 10-22 (e.g. barrel distortion, sharpness in the corners). Maybe I can post some aerial shots after the weekend.

Cheers,
Jan