KennyS1134

Vague Newbie Q's

Dear Photography Gods,
I have a Canon T2i with kit lens (lame I know), and was wondering what modes/settings would be the best choice for some super badass (and probably out of frame) skydiving shots. I have been playing around with it for 15mins, and so far the camera has defeated me. Once I regain my strength I'll try and tackle it again!
I did a lot of research, in order to decide which camera best fit my needs, but now that I have one, the task of learning this discipline seems pretty daunting. I mean, there are soooo many different settings and modes. I've always admired skydiving photographers, but now I have an entirely new appreciation for all the work (and money) they pour into this discipline. Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

There is no "magic setting" for skydiving. There are skydivers who keep their cameras set the same always, yes. But they run into problems when circumstances change: inside the plane, clouds with lots of reflection, solid cloud layer, near sunset, or not paying attention and having your camera set to something else than usual and having no clue what to do about it :S

The golden tip: buy a decent camera book, and/or do a photography class. Figure out what ISO, f-stop, exposure speed are and how they relate to each other and to the changing environent you'll be using the camera in.

Set the camera to completely manual and shoot every subject you see.
See what works and what works less good.

Take that camera out to the DZ and take shots over people landing, walking, boarding, packing etc etc.

Basically, becoming a halfway decent photographer on the ground before putting a camera on your head will go you a long long way.

ciel bleu,
Saskia