virgin-burner

what happens if your PC entangles with your gopro

"7 Seconds is a Long Time" - Especially while base jumping, as some have found out...

everyone knows you cant basejump properly if you havent mounted a minimum of three gopros; just ask jeb! :P
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

since the vid seems to be sponsored by gopro, i'd reckon it's the "original" case!? or what are you suggesting!?

as long as you havent bolted or screwed your gopro to your helmet, the adhesive tape mount thingy would probably work as your predetermined breaking point, no!?
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

thanks for the video Chris. Good thing to forward it to the people who will be organizing safety days in Switzerland. :)
Edited to add : will send the link to Stefan so that he forwards it to the people in charge of SafetyDays (and will mention where it came from) :)

scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

since the vid seems to be sponsored by gopro, i'd reckon it's the "original" case!? or what are you suggesting!?

as long as you havent bolted or screwed your gopro to your helmete, the adhesive tape mount thingy would probably work as your predetermined breaking point, no!?

The adhesive tape is STRONG... much stronger than I would want to bet my life on it tearing in time.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

as long as you havent bolted or screwed your gopro to your helmet, the adhesive tape mount thingy would probably work as your predetermined breaking point, no!?

The adhesive tape is STRONG... much stronger than I would want to bet my life on it tearing in time.

that's why it's a smart idea to have a helmet with a cutaway-system installed. :P

i didnt mean to say this would WORK as a breaking point. my comment was in regard to "different cases", which in my opinion will hold much stronger than any tape..
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

as long as you havent bolted or screwed your gopro to your helmete, the adhesive tape mount thingy would probably work as your predetermined breaking point, no!?

'

I would agree with this assessment. Get a cutaway system and learn how having a camera on your head changes your EPs (it can, very much...)
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

does anybody know how much pull-force a "standard" PC creates at terminal!? plus/minus!? i know that question has a lot of variables like diameter, material, age, bla-bla-bla, but as a rule of thumb!?

i kinda wonder how the dude managed to hold on to that thing for 7 seconds, because i have a faint memory of around 400lbs, dont think that is the case
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

if the line is wrapped around the case, I'd wager the plastic mount would break at terminal.
If it's caught at the point where the adhesive meets the helmet (under the mount) it almost assuredly will not break off. Somewhere here on DZ.com is a photo of a fish scale with a line under the adhesive mount.

uuuuhhhmm.. i dont know if i understand you correctly, what you say is that the tape will NEVER break!?

does anybody jump those things without cutaways anyway!?
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

i kinda wonder how the dude managed to hold on to that thing for 7 seconds, because i have a faint memory of around 400lbs, dont think that is the case

You can hang onto a PC for an entire jump. Back when there were more tubes around, someone figured that if you could handhold a tube, you could hang onto a PC 'just for fun'. We sewed a loop into the end of a couple old bridles and made a few jumps with everyone sit-flying while hanging one-handed off a PC .

does anybody know how much pull-force a "standard" PC creates at terminal!? plus/minus!? i know that question has a lot of variables like diameter, material, age, bla-bla-bla, but as a rule of thumb!?

Not standard, but PC.
I would think you should look at 32" at 10 seconds.

uuuuhhhmm.. i dont know if i understand you correctly, what you say is that the tape will NEVER break!?

In Engrish, "almost" doesn't mean "never" or "always":P

nothing to do with engrish or not, i dont have a gopro and dont like them much, it's hard for me to imagine that this tape is really that strong.. that's all. :)

-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

nothing to do with engrish or not, i dont have a gopro and dont like them much, it's hard for me to imagine that this tape is really that strong.. that's all. :)

I can't find the fishscale pix, but this is where the strength lies. There isn't enough "give" nor enough angle to get this to rip off easily.
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=124299;

The plastic mounts tear off easily. The platform/sticky tape...not so much.

havent there been any lawsuits yet!? probably just a matter of time until some douchebag will sue the shit out of gopro..

does anyone have sales-numbers of gopro!? there's this german tv-show doing all sorts of stuff, kinda like mythbusters, they seem to have an endless supply of gopro's.. and it airs every fucking day!
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

Yes they do and in fact we are seeing more and more set ups like this one attached. Too many people with no video experience strapping on shit like this and thinking it won't or can't happen to them. No way in hell I would want that stupid ass mount sticking up like that on even a FTP let alone this kind of fullface or other non cutaway system helmet.

Just say'n.....

Only a matter of time till someone goes in due to one of these kind of set ups IMHO.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Yes they do and in fact we are seeing more and more set ups like this one attached. Too many people with no video experience strapping on shit like this and thinking it won't or can't happen to them. No way in hell I would want that stupid ass mount sticking up like that on even a FTP let alone this kind of fullface or other non cutaway system helmet.

Just say'n.....

Only a matter of time till someone goes in due to one of these kind of set ups IMHO.

at least we'll have POV-footage of the impact! :S

maybe them people should have a little chat with le fish about this; he's even got a t-shirt out of it!
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

maybe them people should have a little chat with le fish about this

The problem is you can't tell a moron they are a moron, they just don't get it and never will get it. There is a whole bunch of bounce bingo players these days who think it can't or won't happen to them, after all it's a small format camera and the tape will let loose or the plastic will bust off and free the entanglement.

Then there is the asshats who think they can unsnap that kind of chin strap set up on those full face helmets while getting choked and having some shit try to rip their heads off @ 120mph.

But yes not only should they talk to le old stinky fish, they should see his video and post about his encounter with the reaper.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

A coincidence, even as you were writing this, had a student here in the room explaining why she needed a GoPro, and why it should be on the front of her helmet, and how she was "going to learn more" by having it.
She has 50 jumps and isn't able to stay with anyone yet.
I asked her how she was going to learn, and she was told by someone that she could film others and figure out her body position by filming others. Her next counter was that "I'll own a camera and helmet and others can film me."
Her last comment was "why are you such a pessimist about me wearing a camera?" :SThe concept of safety didn't begin to register, even after seeing the small format incidents thread.
I'm not a pessimist who doesn't want you to wear a camera. I'm a realist who doesn't want you to wear a cast or a casket.

So, as we're watching a video of her last jump, suddenly she flies fast into view. "So-and-so just got a new camera and he ran into me." :|