theonlyski

SSD's

Man, these puppies are FAST!

2 Benchmarks of my old SSD's and a bench of the new one.

(remember, these are faster than platter hard drives anyways)

Loading Vegas 11 Pro < 6 seconds
iTunes - instantaneous
Boot time from POST to useable desktop <20 seconds.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

The problem I find with using SSD for video production is that I don't find hard drives to be the bottleneck when rendering customer videos. A Western Digital Black or Seagate Baracuda provides enough bandwidth. The CPU is really the most important part in my opinion. In addition, we keep our source and rendered videos stored for some time. With the limited space available on a SSD, we would blow through that pretty quickly. They are very fast, and great upgrade. But personally, I think spending the extra money on a faster processor would be a better investment.

I have it for the OS drive, the snappiness helps a ton when I have a few programs open and multitasking between them.

I'm running an AMD Phenom 1100T x6 @ 3.96GHz, that does ok for rendering.

I love the immediate response and programs opening with a quickness.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

We're running an 17-3930K with an SSD for the boot, a Velociraptor for the working disk and then a regular 7200 rpm 1.5 tb disk for archiving. Using that in conjunction with Vegas Pro 11 and an NVIDIA 560 Ti card for some nice render times.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

Is Samsung's the current fastest SSD or is it still the OCZ's Vertex 3? I also heard that Intel just came out with their new 520 SSD, but the price is just too expensive at the moment with similar speeds to that of OCZ's

I'm assuming you're using SATA 3.0 6Gbps interface to take advantage of the ridiculous speeds? ;)

Also try using "Blackmagic Disk Speed Test" works as a great speed benchmark test for your SDD!

For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

I find I'm happy with just about any SSD, as they're all much much faster than regular HDDs.

I have SSDs in 2 laptops (one C2Q for computer programming, one C2D for debriefing and photo burning) and 2 i7 video-edit PCs, and they're all fast. For the laptops it wouldn't make any difference to put in a faster SSD, but even for the i7 pcs, fast = fast ;)

Benchmarks are fine, but in the real world, can you tell the difference?
For the same price, I'd rather have a bigger vertex2 than a smaller vertex3, myself. YMMV ;)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I'm assuming you're using SATA 3.0 6Gbps interface to take advantage of the ridiculous speeds? ;)

Sadly, no. My board only supports SATA 2. Still, it's fast as hell. I have to change my single click to a double click to open things because my double click puts me 2 folders into what ever I opened, or 2 instances of a program running accidently... that fast!

This is a Crucial M4 64gb drive, the ones I replaced were old Samsung SSD's because they were a little unreliable. I have been running one of them (same model) in my MacMini, one in my Macbook, and had 2 of them in the video rig, they work fine in the macs, but the video rig just threw all kinds of errors. The Crucial is WAY faster than the Samsungs.

Some people are saying that the OCZ V3's have had a lot of issues, and a lot of the reviewers even said they got rid of the OCZ for one of these.