TurboChrist

Ripcord / Pin Test: Pass or Fail

Does everyone here realize, that there is a date of manufacture on the handle of most ripcords. All racer ripcords manufactured by jumpshack have a date. Javelins also have the date stamp.

Yes it has been posted in several threads how and where to find/figure out the date.
Fly it like you stole it!

I quote the bulletin. Status: Mandatory test- this is a one time test. One of the two tests(either TEST 1 or TEST 2) must be performed and marked per test procedure. Why are the people at CAPEWELL contradicting their own service bulletin over the phone?

don't ask my, ask them. all i know is when i called them, they told me what i have said above.

oh well, it takes 5 min. to do. and test one only tests the pin, test 2 tests everthing (like the little ball at the other end of the cord)

later

Lets talk about test 2. I can guarantee you that, no one in the country is performing that test to specs given by CAPEWELL.

1. If you look in the box at the bottom of figure 3, the tolerance for the test is + - .03 inches. The drawing also calls for a hole in the aluminum block of .125 inches. Have you seen anyone checking the diameter of the pin to be sure that it is at least .095 inches in diameter. A friend that is also a rigger and a machinest checked the diameter of the pins on 3 racer ripcords. The six pins varied in size from .092 through .098. The ripcord with the .092 diameter pin can not be tested accourding to the test specifications. It was manufactured in 1994.

2. The drawing also calls for the pin to be .188 from the shoulder at the top of the block. the drawing also shows the pin resting at the bottom of the hole. I can assure you if you only have one block with one hole, it will not work with all ripcords.

3. "Pins in excess of .005 inch deformation along the blade of the pin should be removed from service." How is anyone accurately measuring for the bend. A human hair is .003 inches.

As sparky said "I think we have a bad test."

Luckily I have not encountered a racer or reflex with a manufacturing date that falls within the parameters. Those two rigs have to use test 2. I am not sure that I can perform test 2 within the parameters specified by Capewell without special equipment not specified in the bulletin.

...you get a bent pin, then I doubt you'll find a lot of spare ripcords lying around to replace it. I hope a few riggers bring some spares...

This brings up a good point. Jumpers: Don't rely upon anyone else to have the spare equipment necessary to fix your rig! Each jumper should carry their own spare ripcord in their gear bag. That way, if you have to throw one away, or otherwise lose it in a cutaway, you can be back in action the next weekend, or sooner. Don't spoil a good boogie for yourself because you didn't have a simple replacement item handy.

You can even carry this further, and have your own spare freebag and pilot chute. Those are items that can be lost forever easily, depending upon the geography of your drop zone.

After one cutaway of mine, I once also wished I had a spare custom pilot chute "hat" for my Racer, as I looked up at my reserve freebag and pilot chute, dangling from the top of a 50-foot tall tree. That's something to think about when ordering a new custom Racer...

Just to put this thread on top of the list! Only 89 have answered the poll, it seems to me that there are lots more new rigs in town!!!

That's not bad for a statistical sample. They predict the outcome of Preidential elections with a sample of just a few hundred.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I had one pin bend. It's well more than .005, since it's actually visible to the naked eye.

My reserve ripcord had a Dolphin part number. I just called Altico today and talked to Mike. He's a real nice guy and is sending me a new one today, and I'm sending the bent one back to him. It's cool that Altico is making an effort to fix the problem, considering it's really not their fault to begin with.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Man this is still going on?......get test #2 is my opinion, I posted in another thread when someone asked what they saw wrong with test # 1
1.- it specifies 3/4" (8mm).....3/4" is not 8mm anyone who understand moment arm will know that they would almost be doubling the moment when testing at the improper measurement
2.- If a .005 bend is noticed...uh are you superman? naked eye wont see it
3.- the loop is soft and I have witnessed riggers pulling on the pin at 90 degrees to the ground no to the pin. In addition when pulling begins the loop sometimes will give a little and you no longer have 90 degrees, this accounts for many popped seals.

Not impressed at all with test # 1

LIFE IS LIKE A CIGARETTE, YOU CAN SIT THERE AND WATCH IT BURN AWAY OR YOU CAN SMOKE THAT BITCH TO THE FILTER