faulknerwn

Nikon d7000

Yesterday I picked up a Nikon D7000 for basically half price from a fellow skydiver who needed money. I was planning to just resell it, but googling it seems that this is a much better than my canon t1i that I currently use. So I am contemplating :)

Doing a search, I have seen things about bite switches but different nikons using different switches. I've always been a canon person, so I'm not sure which type or ....

In one of the threads, someone mentioned being able to buy cheap Chinese switches which plug right into the Conceptus. I wasn't sure if that would work for this camera.

So I know I should just sell it and take my profit :) but I can't help but contemplate how much effort it would take to try and use it skydiving. The lens it came with has excellent reviews from around the web so I could get away with using it for the moment.

Any hints or clues for someone who knows almost nothing about nikons?

Hi,
I have a D7000, but I've decided it's too valuable to take jumping and get beat up. I'm using an old D70s instead. 6.1 megapixels is good enough for this stuff, and it's strictly daylight shooting so you don't need the low light capabilities of the d7000. I do have a tongue switch that works with it, I got it from someone in Slovakia who was selling them in the classifieds. It plugs into the gps slot.
If you search Ebay for E3F-DC2M you will find an adapter to use a 2.5 mm stereo plug switch as well.
The D7000 is an awesome camera, probably the best you can get for a DSLR short of going full frame. Used ones in good shape with complete packaging ect sell for at least $1100 right now. New ones a a little hard to come by, they are made in Thailand, and the factory was damaged in last year's floods.
I've ordered a 10-24mm wide angle and I can't wait to get in the air with it. What lens did you get with it?

Ken
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Arg. I was completely happy with my t1i last week. I've spent all day googling and had about decided to sell the d7000 and pick up a canon 7d for the same price - I already have a handful of canon lenses.

The reviews of the 7d and the 7000 make them very close - but the Nikon being better in low light and the canon being better video ( which I never use ). The canon does slightly better in fps.

Arg. I wish I had a 7d in hand to compare with side by side. The Nikon takes way better pictures than my t1i and has all sorts of cool features. I suspect that the 7d does too but I don't have it in my hand.

What to do. Arg. So many decisions. Waaahhh. This is just my rant of the day. I was happy last week with the camera I had.

Wellll..... if you decide to jump with it you should consider getting the unbelievable cheap and good 18-55 basic kit lens, just because it is about half the size and you can buy it for $100 or even less used. I almost never take my 18-200 off. It does nearly everything, but I wouldn't jump with it. It's too large and unnecessary.

For jumping, the Canon you are already using is likely all you need. That's why you were happy last week. Better cameras don't make better pictures. They are just easier to use and give you more creative control. But you can't really use that control when you bolt the camera to your head.

The real advantage to the d7000 is ease of use, I've never had a camera that just gets out of the way and makes great shots like this one. Also many people find the exposure meter, and ADR (auto dynamic range) in the Nikon help them get nicer shots.

Nikon and Canon both make great cameras and lenses. I'm sure the 7d will make great pics as well, but I've never used one. As you know, the skydiving world is almost exclusively Canon for stills, so you would be walking outside the mainstream if you switched. Even getting a simple thing like a tongue switch will become a hassle, but not impossible.

Ken
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Have you ever jumped it with the 18-105? I tried two jumps with it with that lens on Sunday. One took beautiful pictures with it until 5 seconds before pull. The second jump it stopped taking pictures during climb out and didn't resume until under canopy. Lazlo thought it was too much shake or something.

I'm looking for a wide able at the moment, but I had trouble with the kit lens.

Hi Wendy,
awesome camera, congratulations!
The angled adaptor is the N90AD in this site:
http://pc-mobile.net/nikongps.htm
One of the best thing of using nikons for jumping is their wide angles lenses: 10.5 and 16 mm, nice and small, but costly like any good glass.
The 18-55 is pretty good too.
Good luck!
Gustavo

Gustavo is right, if you will get 10.5 lens on your DX size sensor of D7000, you will cry happy tears.
This lens deserve topic on its own and this is a set up that i am working towards.

Enjoy it! :):) :)

OK. check this out the remote release is a easy fix. buy a hahnel HRN 280. this kit has pigtails to fit several nikons including the 7000. Then go to radioshack and buy a female coupler for about 2 dollars. Then your canon bite switch and the pigtail plugs right into the coupler. No splicing or cutting.

Have you ever jumped it with the 18-105? I tried two jumps with it with that lens on Sunday. One took beautiful pictures with it until 5 seconds before pull. The second jump it stopped taking pictures during climb out and didn't resume until under canopy. Lazlo thought it was too much shake or something.

I'm looking for a wide able at the moment, but I had trouble with the kit lens.

Did you try it with the VR off on the lens? That could be what's stopping it but that's just a shot in the dark. Their VR tech is amazing for shooting longer exposure handhelds but that could possibly be what's screwing it up for skydiving.
Nothing in life is to be feared. It is only to be understood.

I had the same problem on both the Nikon and the tokina 11-16.

ThE tokina didn't have image stabilization

I want to get some sort of flat top helmet this summer - wonder whether that will help. Right now it's mounted on top but not quite as protected as on a flat top.