sky4meplease

Outside video vs. Handcam

Only ones that can shoot great handy cam are those Ti that are taller than 6 foot and have great arm reach.
Even so, they are stuck to one or two angle thru the free fall, one angle a being ti's arm over the student's shoulder, angle two, ti's arm being under the student's armpit. With angle two, you are almost guaranteed to have your arm trapped after opening.

I wish my dz gets rid of handy cam. It takes a lot of jump away from much capable outside video grapher, and they sell handy cam by showing what the best can do, not the average ti can do.

Average ti, who is shorter than 5'8" and or have shorter arm reach, their video tends to be face shot the whole freaking time.

I don't mind shooting with handy cam at all, and in fact even if I don't have handy cam my left hand stays at the same spot thru the jump, seems like I just got used to flying that way.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8DryRf3CEQ

Few better than Kim! IMHO

I hope you have a thick skin, cause it is late, and I've had a few. But here goes:

With all due respect, i just watched the first minute of the video, and it would all end up on the cutting room floor. Nothing useful, memorable or worth posting even on social networks. When I'm a minute into a youtube/fb video and I haven't seen anything that interests me, I just move on. I think most people are like that. And the gratuitous, I'll just spend 20 seconds videoing stickers on my helmet? Really? And the extreme wide-angle fish-eye with zero resolution outside of the center 5%? Back to the vid...

I got to the first useful footage at 1:30, but only because of the subject. The super wide-angle, face is too small, and "I think I'm being cool by holding a camera up in the air and moving it..." has to go!

1:46. Really? Look at it. Very, very small distorted faces you can't distinguish against a very oddly shaped plane. I'm at 2 minutes and I have so far seen only a few seconds of footage that is at all worth keeping. Back to the vid...

2:00 to 2:30. Okay, finally something the student will want to see. Although the awful distorted, fish-eye, bad resolution makes me want WAY better. The next minute and a half was mostly useless and boring. The best of it could have been edited down to about 5-10 seconds.

At 4 minutes we got what the student is really looking for (but took way to long to get there). The freefall footage is okay for handcam. I liked how he kept the plane in frame on exit. Better than most exit handcam footage (but not as good as most outside video I usually see).

Freefall: Okay, here's where that obnoxious fisheye lens pays off... a little. In freefall you can see the student, sky and ground. And the instructor's arm (the "star" of all handcam footage) is only a third of the frame. Of course, you could get all of that, sans forearm, with a good outside videographer.

Canopy footage: Here's where handcam shines. It is simply footage the outside guys can't get. Although this footage isn't unlike any other I have seen (IMHO, it went on a little too long though). The best vids combine this canopy footage with outside vid for the rest of the skydive.

Landing: Okay as far as handcam goes, but not as good as outside footage from a good outside videographer with a TI who lands close. But neglected to turn the student towards the Sun before shooting the ending shots. Just black, backlit faces. And again, the super-wide made the student's face become small and insignificant.

Overall, I think this should have been half the length, and then might have been a decent video as far as handcam goes. But not near as good as good outside vids I have seen from many outside videographers.

BTW, I could rip into many, many outside videos with at least as much criticism. But I think what many videos lack is looking at the vid from the students perspective, and understanding when and how they view and SHARE their videos. Everyone want to show off their video. But making something that makes them proud, shows them off, and making something they can show their friends without their friends walking out before the freefall even begins seems to elude many videographers/editors. But as I say,... IMHO! Some day I'll post one of mine so others can similarly rip me a new one!

It's late. I'll probably regret this post (and hear an earful) in the morning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8DryRf3CEQ

Few better than Kim! IMHO

I hope you have a thick skin, cause it is late, and I've had a few. But here goes:.

Why would MY skin have to be thick??? I'm not the one posting drunk!:S;)

The video is in response to show me a good handcam ... Not a good video. Kim is one of the best. I agree the pre jump is too long for me, but when I asked Kim about that (and the campy music) her reply indicated the Japanese (90% of tandem customers in Guam) like all that crap. I remember my Japanese exchange student taking 1000s of film pictures of stuff I thought was crap, so I guess they know their clientele better than me.

This is a good example of a handcam. Is it better than outside? Not the best, but truthfully when Stooby & I became the Tis and left the video oration, it is better than most of the outside flyers. Not every DZ has great vidiots. Our small DZ right now doesn't. IMHO, they jump too little. Anyway, when you sober up, :P;), you'll see this was suppose to be an example of a good handcam (not a good video composition)

BTW, I'm a therapist & drug & Alcohol counselor in the real world, give me a call when you decide to stop doing stupid stuff when you are drunk. Just kidding!! B|

steveOrino

Hello every one thanks for your good input on this interesting topic.

It seems to me that that you all forget about other important aspect of skydiving.
SKYDIVING IT SELF as a sport. As more handy cams videos out there as less there will be skilled camera Jumpers. And one day it could be none (Potentially)

We all should look further into sport and make sure that it will grow develop, improve and EXIST for those who will enjoy sky's after us.

I guess it is all the same, just a question of balancing those things right.

Thanks.

Hand cam is Good idea - but having both is better-- training with that idea for a better edit- you just need control -soft and slow as most know is best

The two images as cross looks pritty cool--

Having something never beats doing (>|<)
Iam building things - Iam working on my mind- I am going to change this world - its what I came here 4- - -

We only have outside video at our Cessna DZ. No one does handcam there. I am a college student trying to skydive as much as possible and I couldn't do it without being able to shoot outside video.

Very rarely do we have tandems that don't get outside video. Some days, when I don't have enough business, I will go and shoot video of a tandem who didn't pay for it. When I show them the video on the ground, they always buy it. I have never shot a video that didn't get sold afterwards. Getting them to pay the $100 may take a little more work, but it is well worth it for me.