faulknerwn

Lens moisture

I bought a rokinon 8mm fisheye lens to go to the crw boogie I'm Florida this past weekend. I loved the pictures it made but switched back to my trusty canon 10-22 because every jump had a small fog dot in the very center of the picture. It appeared softly after exit and went away between 5-6 thousand feet. My canon did not have a problem.

The lens is too fisheye to put a filter on it. I think that the moisture is inside the lens unfortunately. Anyone have a clue how to get it out or solve the problem? I really like the lens and would like to play with it more. Haven't had a chance to try it in less humid Texas or in Freefall.

Search Samyang 8mm here and you may read on my experiences with the lens. (Samyang 8mm is exactly the same lens with different name on it)

In addition to my earlier reports I wrote here I have later on found it is the very front element of the lens that gets foggy. Wiping it with a soft cloth will make it go away for a while, but obviously will not prevent the problem. Earlier I wasnt sure if the fog was forming on the inside or the outside.

Also Im afraid theres not much you can do to rescue foggy pictures on post processing.

Jumping a lot in humid areas, I use a heating pad. Wrap the lens in the HP and put it on high. Let it sit in there to really warm it up. This will help remove any moisture that may have crept its way in. When you get down from the jump put it back in the hp. Used this all the time at Spaceland to keep lenses from fogging.

Jumping a lot in humid areas, I use a heating pad. Wrap the lens in the HP and put it on high. Let it sit in there to really warm it up. This will help remove any moisture that may have crept its way in. When you get down from the jump put it back in the hp. Used this all the time at Spaceland to keep lenses from fogging.

Does this really work?? I have fogging issues here in TN when its really humid. I would think that heating the lens above ambient temp. would cause MORE moisture issues as you fall through the cooler air at altitude. I hope I am wrong cause I will buy a heating pad if this is proven to work! B|

Thanks and Blue Skies,
Jason

Moisture happens on objects that are colder than the surounding air.
Bringing your camera up to 12000 feet cools it down and when you fall back to earth the camer can "stay" cold while you decend to warmer air.

It can work. But I would be surprised if it does as when you exit the plane the camera is beeing cooled very quick again.

But if he says it works, give it a try