demonic_death

Proper plane exit

I'm a newbie skydiver with just 3 jumps.

One of the hardest thing that I have a problem with is exiting a plane. Over here in our DZ we students step out of the plane onto a metal bar with a diagonal handrail. Now I have had difficulty getting into position due to the strong winds(to be expected) while getting out. Any tips on how to do this?

Thanks in advance.

I am very new as well. I did this on my last jump, a static line exit from a Cessna 182.

I was told, stay low. I leaned over the wing strut with my hands on the strut and my chest down on my hands. That way the top of my head and my shoulder tops were into the wind.

When it came to reaching out and hanging from the strut, I don't recall doing anything special other than just working my hands out as far as I could reach and then transfering my weight carefully to my hands.

If you don't have the strength in your hands to hold against the wind, that might be a problem hard to deal with.

Dan
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

First of all, what plane are you jumping from?

I'd recommend you talk to an instructor and ask him/her to work with you on exits when the plane is on the ground. Practice getting out from the student position over and over. A good instructor can give you tips and hints and help you build muscle memory. B|

Asking an insturctor for help is not a sign of weakness!! Rather, it shows you're eager to learn. Good luck!:)

Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Getting used to the wind can be a challenge, but unless you are physically not strong enough to hold on, it just takes time and practice.

First off, take your time. If you are having trouble let the instructor know and make sure you are not rushing to get into position.

When climbing out of a plane I look at it similar to any other climbing I have done in the past. Whether it is climbing a tree, a ladder, or a rock wall, it is always a good rule of thumb to keep three solid points of contact whenever possible (i.e. two hands and a foot or two feet and a hand touching). Once you are in a solid position you can move to two contact points if needed.

Over here in our DZ we students step out of the plane onto a metal bar with a diagonal handrail.

If it isn't a troll it's an honest to God newbie!

The diagonal handrail thingy might just be the wing strut on a Cessna 182 or similar. That's the main structural member which keeps the wing in place. :o And it's a handy thing to hold on to as well.

Now that I'm here I might as well give some actual advice:

Anyone can do it; you just need to get used to using extra muscle force to place limbs where they should be.

Make sure you get right up to the edge of the door when climbing out, and stick your head out. Some students stay back, afraid of the wind and altitude, and then find it is too far a reach to get their foot on the step or hand on the strut.

Lean forward when getting out into the wind, so the wind isn't catching you as much, and so you are being pushed back against the step instead of just being levered off while standing straight above it.

Get a good foot hold on the step, with the foot hanging slightly over the front edge of the step if needed to get purchase against the wind blowing you back.

Don't rush. Do each move deliberately, get each leg and arm in position without rushing, so that you can place each one carefully in a good position. It's a bit like climbing in that way.

And go talk to your instructors to show you some tips that match the actual airplane you use and the actual climbout that is used by that dropzone.

sorry, forgot to include the plane type.

I don't know much about planes so yes the handrail is part of the wing. It might be a cessna plane.

The problem I am having is that the winds are too strong that it takes all my strength just to get out. I nearly slipped from the strut on my third jump( the winds were very strong even on the ground ) and I really wish there was a way to get out without being bothered by the winds much.

I don't know much about planes so yes the handrail is part of the wing. It might be a cessna plane.

The problem I am having is that the winds are too strong that it takes all my strength just to get out. I nearly slipped from the strut on my third jump( the winds were very strong even on the ground ) and I really wish there was a way to get out without being bothered by the winds much.

All of us who learned to jump using a Cessna 182 (I assume that's what you're using) have had the same problem. It's not that you are not strong enough, virtually everybody has the strength to pull themselves out. The issue is that it is an unusual force you are facing. As you continue in your training it will become a non-issue and you will look back on this time and wonder what you thought was so difficult about it.

But don't take our word for it. Tell your instructors the difficulty you're having and they will work with you to ease your struggle out of the plane.

Oh, I forgot to add - the wind blast during your climb out of the plane is going to be the same on every jump, regardless what the winds are doing on the ground.
"For you see, an airplane is an airplane. A landing area is a landing area. But a dropzone... a dropzone is the people."

If you're walking in a strong wind, you lean forward; it helps. When you're climbing out on the wing, lean forward. As you put your feet on the step, shift your knees to the left (toward the strut). That way the wind will provide a little bit of force holding them on, rather than entirely pushing them off.

As you move your body out of the airplane, concentrate on keeping your head forward of the rest of your body, and try, as much as possible, to keep your body well forward, instead of hanging hard by your hands.

People can walk on the wings of flying airplanes -- it's a matter of practice, and using the wind rather than fearing and fighting it.

In a few jumps this will seem like nothing to you.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Try watching this. It might help. 50 second in or so.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8F5MkP484E&feature=related

As you move your body out of the airplane, concentrate on keeping your head forward of the rest of your body, and try, as much as possible, to keep your body well forward, instead of hanging hard by your hands.

Let me add if I may, Wendy...

The less chest area you expose to the wind, the less push-back you will experience and feel. I teach (for AFF out of a Cessna 182 or such) nose to the wind with a flat chest parallel with the ground.

Your grip on the diagonal handrail will not take so much strength. Even little tiny girls can do it. Even I can do it!
B|
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

( the winds were very strong even on the ground ) and I really wish there was a way to get out without being bothered by the winds much.

I get the impression that you are thinking that ground windspeed is relevant to windspeed at exit.
Two completely independent things.

What you are feeling is airspeed...how fast the plane is passing through the air.

The airspeed is not going to get much slower unless there's a margin so the pilot can reduce it for you. The plane has to have a certain amount of airspeed to stay in flight.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239