BirdWoman

using CX100 footage with FinalCut

I'm pretty sure this has been discussed before but I'm too lazy to dig through all the posts to find it. I have FinalCut Pro on my macbook pro, but it won't let me import any video files from the computer that I shot with my CX100...the .MTS flie extension. If I have footage on the camera I can pull directly from the camera just fine. My question is, can I put the footage that I have already pulled back on to the camera or card, and get it to pull that way? I have tried it with no luck and am wondering if I am missing something. I tried to drag & drop from the computer to the card and internal memory, but the footage wasn't found in Final Cut. I also tried doing the same thing with an SD card with no luck. Advice?
"I don't know where it is that I'm going, but wherever it is there I'll be!" --quoted by me

FCS 6 and 7 don't edit these .mts files natively, but converts them to a more robust format on ingest. (FCX says it does, but I haven't used it).

To use them with FCS, you have to keep the original hierarchy of the files from the card (either use the original card, or copy its entire contents to a drive). Then simply use "Log and Transfer." This converts them to another format, usually Pro-Res.

If you only have individual clips on a drive, and not the original card/folder, use MPEG Streamclip to convert them to another format first. This is a great utility to own for all sorts off file conversions (Mac or Windows), so get it anyway, it's free.