rj2163

vhs to dvd questions

Hi, I'm looking into converting some vhs tapes to dvd.

I don't know anything about this. I am lost and hoping you guys might have some advice or point me in the right direction.

I understand some video cameras can be used as an intermediate device to convert vhs to digital. I have a CX100. Can a CX100 be used do convert vhs to dvd? From what I've googled, it cannot be used for this.

So, I'm probably looking at an external video capture device to do this. There are lots out there like Roxio, Diamond, Honestach etc. that hook up to a VHS player then inputs into a usb port on my computer.

How do I compare the quality of these devices? I don't know anything about all this but it seems a bunch of factors may determine the quality of the final dvd video, like vhs tape degredation, vhs player, software etc. But does the video capture device affect quality in any way, and if they do, how can I compare one from the other? I don't see any specs to compare one from another. If there are some kind of specs I should be looking at, what are the specs I should look at.

OR do all these basically work the same and it doesn't matter which one is used.

thanks
rj

I've never used a computer capture device, but have seen a couple and most had issues if I recall. Might have changed in the meantime.

I used an older type tape camera with s-vhs-in, plus a s-vhs dvd player to capture the vhs to miniDV tape to convert a couple of videos.

The rest I did with a vhs player plus a stand-alone dvd recorder, easy-peasy.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I have a Canopus ADVC300. Works great. Converts to standard DV and inputs to PC via firewire. You can run it through it's own software but I run it through Premiere.
It also comes with various filters that can improve VHS footage but I haven't really used them.
It's expensive but I can fully recommend it. I reckon Canopus' other less expensive options would be good too.

I agree that if you are just creating archives, or if you have a whole bunch to do, nothing is easier than a stand-alone DVD recorder. However, it you want to get it into your computer for editing first, you cannot use the CX100. You could use several older Sony DV cameras, just make sure they have A/V inputs. I have used an older TRV-38 or a TRV-900. Then you just capture the firewire stream into your NLE.

If I have to do this now, I use an older Hollywood Dazzle, bidirectional A/V to Firewire converter. They may be discontinued, but there are comparable items at B&H. In my experience, the quality of the VHS tape it usually the limiting factor quality-wise. I currently have one on my desktop for some Hi-8 tapes I am editing this week.