ShcShc11

Will 3D enhance skydiving videos?

Hey,

I was just wondering what photographers thought about 3D. I always thought it would have a good potential as it enhances the depth of the background.

Seeing someone fall would probably give a "holy crap, I'm falling" feeling to whuffos (I remember I did when watching Avatar in the haydays).

Cheers
Shc

3D enhances any video, however, the “need for the viewer to wear glasses” technology is impractical. New technologies that remove the need for viewers to wear special glasses may help though.

Another concern is the size, weight, and price of 3D cameras. If they are significantly larger, heavier, and/or much more expensive than the cameras we now use, they may prove to be unsafe and impractical.

If whuffos desperately want the “holy crap, I’m falling” experience, all they need to do is skydive.

Yes.
I just finished authoring part of a book on small-format 3D, some of the footage included with the book is from both a single box/dual GP system, as well as a wider rail/ocular GP system. I've also jumped and ground produced with the Panasonic AG3DA1 on the other end of the spectrum.
GP is a bit too wide, but also extremely distorted at the edges, making it less than optimal for virtually anything.

Has anyone seen what the gopro 3d setup looks like when done?

GoPro 3D is cool for anything 30 cm to 2 meter away from the lens, and in the center of the frame. Anything further or to close to the edges falls a bit flat.

Though 3D is a fun addition, I think most people would rather do 'classic' 2D due to the easier presentation. As well as personal preference/choice.

Though I do the 3D stuff for a living, I usually opt for 2D in cinema when I get the chance. Regardless if it was shot in 3D, or (badly) converted..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I thought the singlebox GoPro looked pretty cool in a handicam type use. This was with a fun jumper on a hop and pop. Made the canopy footage look awesome!
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

What are the odds of seeing something come to the market that would allow for dual control of the Sony series camera that allow for frame syncing? I know of the issues like parallax and other issues needed to be corrected to get better 3D that can only be overcame by having the cameras moved further apart and toed in for certain distances but up to this point I have not seen a controller that would allow for control of Sony devices in this manor.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

And boy would it take FOREVER to turn a video!

there is zero difference editing/rendering a 2D vs 3D video from same-source or similar source acquisition.

my guess is that it was a joke comment about the RedBull 3d movie:)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Hello,

I'm start some 3D work with Tandems since 2011 summer.

You can find some samples at my Skydive3Dmovies Youtube Channel at http://www.youtube.com/skydive3dmovies.

This year, I'm going to invest a lot more to promote this and make 3/4 video works per week. Wish me luck I need it in Portugal skydive market.

Is not a perfect 3D work, but the client get the 2D + 3D plus photos on the same pack.

More at www.facebook.com/skydive3Dmovies

Regards,
Nuno Lobo Paulo
Skydive Ultimate Switch . www.ultimate-switch.com
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 00351 919 327 315

This looks like either the GoPro cropped, Sony TD or Panny 3D camera?
Either way, it looks like you're using artificial widening or your lenses are too far apart. I tried to watch several of them and found myself crosseyed and with headache. This is not uncommon in low quality formats.
Also, try tweaking colors more so the contrasts are greater. Punch up blue, bring down red/yellows

Are you using Sony Vegas with the widener, or something else?

I just use the GoPro CineForm Studio, export to side-by-side and edit at iMovie.

Still now I don't have a 3D TV to see the results ! Only 3D Anaglyph Glasses :(

At next week I'm going to make some 3D basic course with final cut express.

Thanks for help.

Regards,
Nuno Lobo Paulo
Skydive Ultimate Switch . www.ultimate-switch.com
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 00351 919 327 315