slim_shady

Canon 550D

Hello,
I'm planning on buying a Canon 550D.
I've heard that this is an excellent still camera for skydiving. (stills + full HD video).
I must admit that i know almost nothing of still cameras.
There are 2 lenses that i think are suitable for this camera...
- Sigma 15mm F2.8 EX DG Diag. Fisheye Canon
- Samyang 8mm f/3.5 Fisheye Canon (waaaay cheaper -> about half of de Sigma lens :o)

All these numbers tell me little.
Does anyone here have experience with these lenses?
Are they a good choice? Which one would you guys buy? Or are there better options?
Hope that some experts here can give me some answers.

Thanks in advance guys ! :)

For skydiving, get the sigma 15mm or better yet the canon 15mm. On a Canon 550D these lenses give a sort-of fisheye look, but they are ok to use for skydiving (some people do not like this look though).

If you want a decent non-fisheye lens for skydiving, be prepared to spend more money.

An 8mm lens is pretty much useless for skydiving IMO, regardless of brand. It might be a lens you'd use once in a while for effect, but you'd have to fly really really really close plus the world REALLY goes fisheye. People will get balloon noses (or are really small in the frame if you're a bit too far away), planes will look like they have severe metal fatigue , you'll get your hands in the frame, etc.

The cheaper lenses like samyang, zenitar and the like are usually manual focus lenses, and they may not even meter light themselves, depending on which camera you put them on. You get what you pay for. Only get these lenses if you know what you're doing, photography-wise.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

An 8mm lens is pretty much useless for skydiving IMO, regardless of brand.

I'm not sure about that ;) Samyang 8mm on 550D (sensor with 1.6 crop factor) gives around 167 degrees of view, which is just slightly less than in GoPro videos which so many people seem to love nowadays :P

cheers,
Bart ;)