Scubadivemaster

GoPro Hero Outdoor vs Motorsports vs Surf

Never having been a fan of the small format cameras, I have paid zero attention to what others are using.

Today when I sat down to buy my wife a camera for filming fun jumps and AFF, I find that the video produced by the GoPros seem to beat the hell out of my old tape format Sony HC that has served me so faithfully.

As she is willing to accept the loss of the Cameye, sight, etc for non-critical jumps she will be using it for, it seems it is time to order a GoPro Hero2.

My question is which version others are purchasing, the Outdoor, the Motorsports, or the Surf.

She will be mounting it on a Z1 and Bonehead All-Sport. Advice on mounts for those is also appreciated.

Thanks!

I highly recommend NOT installing it on a Z1. In the case of a snag or riser slap the only option is to pull the helmet clean off her head. I know one jumper that had that issue occur and it just about broke their neck and nose due to the helmet having no other option except spinning 90 degrees on their head and lucky popping off. Not to mention once you install it on a Z1 you basically remove the ability to open the lens so if it fogs you have no options to help clear it.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

They used the standard stick tape on the normal mounts on the Z1. I was amazed that the plastic mount was untouched despite being under enough stress that it twisted the Z1 right off the jumpers head with the chin strap still buckled.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Hi

I bought the outdoor edition since it has the most usable mounts for me. I have now mounted the camera to the front top of my ProTec helmet by using the curved pad supplied in the box. Havn't jumped it yet...Since I mostly jump static line military chutes I hope the issue with lines getting caught around the camera is limited. Will post videos once I have some...

cheers
Uwe
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.

-Leonardo da Vinci

I ended up buying the Outdoor edition and a "Chesty". I like the look and feel of the chest mount.

I would have gone with the Motorsports Edition but Best Buy only stocks the Outdoor and I needed something to put under the tree.

Still, after buying the camera and an SD card (NOT from Best Buy), along with a low profile mount, you end up with $400 in it. Since I can get a CX150 for $400, a Bonehead box to fit the camera and her All Sport for $200, a wide angle lens and Hypeye for another $200, I think I will give her the option to take the GoPro back and spend the additional $400 to have a more traditional camera helmet setup. Damned GoPro still just looks like a huge snag hazard to me.