axelandr

Prefered set-up for tandem video >500$

So, I don't know much about the technical aspects of video and by reading up I can't seem to get much closer.. there is a jungle of different cameras and set-ups out there..

I would like to know what the professional videographers on here consider their preferred set-up and why..
From what I get, it seems that GoPro/Drift/Contour is not considered professional cameras, but that the Sony CX100/110/130/150 are.. why is this - aren't these cameras somewhat dated? do they produce better quality HD than the newest GoPro? is this just because of the added lenses you can put on them and..?

I'm looking into a new camera since the lens my Drift HD170 just cracked, and I might venture into doing tandem video soon and would like to get a set-up which will work for that straight away.. is it possible to get a camera + lens for less than 500$, if so what should I get..?

forget about stills for now, I'm mostly in doubt regarding the video part..

any input or pointing in the right direction would be greatly appreciated! :)
Alex.

it seems that GoPro/Drift/Contour is not considered professional cameras, but that the Sony CX100/110/130/150 are.. why is this -

The Sony cameras have zoom, there's more to shooting tandem video than the freefall, and having a zoom feature opens up a world of different shots. The Sonys also have a much better mic, and again, there is more to a tandem video than freefall, part of it includes speaking to the customer. Also, the Sony allows you to use a wide angle lens, and while the GoPro/Drift are wide to start with, the Sony lets you pick how wide of a lens (or no lens at all).

That's just off the top of my head. I'm sure there are other reasons that more tech-savy guys would know about, but I gave up on tech and editing a long time ago (10 years ago when I went to work at a DZ that provides an editor). Now I just buy whatever camera they tell me I need, and have fun jumping it.

Edit to add - $500 should get you right there. A used CX camera can be had on ebay for $200 -$250, and that leaves the rest for a lens, some memory cards (or sticks, or whatever they call them) and an extra battery.

Thanks for this, I didn't think about the zoom at all.. good to know..

so, if you could choose among any camera in the Sony line-up, new or used and a general lens which will do "most parts of the job" as well as normal freeflying, which combo would you go for?

btw, are all Sonys good to go with HypEye?

Alex.

search much? Most every thing your asking about has been covered a number of times on this forum and with a little bit of searching around in here you should be able to find those answers or at least get up to speed on the current formats, lens, etc.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Lenses on a Sony-type camera are significantly better. they're not as wide, so you don't have to fly as close and the student won't have a huge nose.
Size of sensor is larger, better in dimly lit aircraft.
Colors are more rich/deep, and may easily be further processed.
recording format is AVCHD, which decodes approx 75% faster on a PC than AVC does (GoPro, Contour, RePlay all use Avc).
GoPro's are fine for handcams, but for outside video? Not something I'd want to hand to the customer.

Lenses on a Sony-type camera are significantly better. they're not as wide, so you don't have to fly as close and the student won't have a huge nose.
Size of sensor is larger, better in dimly lit aircraft.
Colors are more rich/deep, and may easily be further processed.
recording format is AVCHD, which decodes approx 75% faster on a PC than AVC does (GoPro, Contour, RePlay all use Avc).
GoPro's are fine for handcams, but for outside video? Not something I'd want to hand to the customer.

Add the ability to use a Hype Eye... It's nice to be able to control the video camera and know what it's doing.
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Thanks for the input! Like I wrote in my OP, it's hard to find the right source when you don't really know what you're looking for.. Appreciate the help!

As for one question which remains unanswered - which of the current Sony cameras, used or new, would you go for if you had the choice today, and coupled with what lens? Any opinions? DSE?

As I am mainly freeflying, this camera will also be used for that purpose - does this have an impact on which camera I should choose? or what lense to go for?

Alex.

The sticky answers all of your questions :P

I am still using CX100's, finding them on Ebay and whatnot.
lens? Inside video is usually .3, outside is usually .5

Ditto. I just helped someone get a CX100 off ebay for $178. It's EIS and has the card slot easily accessible behind the display screen. My cx100's have lasted 3 yrs, thousands of jumps.
http://www.exitshot.com