npgraphicdesign

GoPro front helmet metal mount?

Saw something in Google images while searching for GoPro images and can't find it now!! >:( It's a front mount for a GoPro that looks like a curved metal plate that screws onto the front of the helmet. The the GoPro is secured to it just like any other ordinary mount.

Would love to know a. who makes it and b. whether anyone has had any experience with it.

Thanks! B|

You mean this?

I'm sure you won't be using it for skydiving until you have 200 jumps, right?

That's not the one I was looking for, but that looks like it will work. Thanks!

And to answer your question, yes. But I also ski during the winter, and that's what I will be using the camera. My skydiving helmet that I'm working on right now will double as a ski/camera helmet during the winter months when I'm not skydiving.

My skydiving helmet that I'm working on right now will double as a ski/camera helmet during the winter months when I'm not skydiving.

You do realize that most skydiving helmets offer little protection from actual impacts that are more than a foot kicking you or something... right??
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Yes...and?

I would hope your ski helmet is better than your skydiving one... I know mine is for that reason.

Good point.

What do you use for a skiing helmet?

This...Having eaten shit many a times in my snowboarding career, I can say the difference between an ok helmet and great helmet is a concussion...not fun...

I trust this way more than my Z1 when I'm riding in the winter

Yes...and?

I would hope your ski helmet is better than your skydiving one... I know mine is for that reason.

Good point.

What do you use for a skiing helmet?

uhm, a skiing helmet!?

and as for the 200 jumps, you sure you will still be "skydiving" in another 10yrs? by that time you wont find your helmet under all that dust anymore anyway.. :P
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Why would you defeat the safety aspect of the plastic 3M sticky mount's ability to break off when needed to save your life from a dangerous entanglement by replacing it with metal hardware bolted to the helmet?
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Why would you defeat the safety aspect of the plastic 3M sticky mount's ability to break off when needed to save your life from a dangerous entanglement by replacing it with metal hardware bolted to the helmet?

I guess whether it's for skiing or skydiving purposes, I'm still very dubious about the strength of that plastic mount and how it would hold up if i were to take a bad tumble on the slopes. At this point, I'll only be using my GoPro for skiing.

In that case, I would recomend the sticy tape even more than if it was for skydiving purpose.
If you tumble with the sticky tape it will fall off and you can mount it again.
If you tumble with the metal mount the plastic GoPro case will break, I have seen it happen.
That means you need to buy a new case instead of just a smal piece of sticky tape.

In that case, I would recomend the sticy tape even more than if it was for skydiving purpose.
If you tumble with the metal mount the plastic GoPro case will break, I have seen it happen.
That means you need to buy a new case instead of just a smal piece of sticky tape.

So how possible is the danger of entanglement if I use a low profile front mount, like the one posted earlier?

Are you talkiing about skydiving again or entanglement with your skis? :D

Wiseass. :P:D:D:D

I was referring to skydiving. Wouldn't there be less chance of an entanglement if you have a low-profile front helmet mount than if you had one on top of your helmet?

dude, it's YEAAAAARS before you should even consider jumping a camera; concentrate on ski-entanglements for now! :P
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

You're doing it wrong if your sticky tape falls off before the mount breaks.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

Are you talkiing about skydiving again or entanglement with your skis? :D

Wiseass. :P:D:D:D

I was referring to skydiving. Wouldn't there be less chance of an entanglement if you have a low-profile front helmet mount than if you had one on top of your helmet?

dude, it's YEAAAAARS before you should even consider jumping a camera; concentrate on ski-entanglements for now! :P

You rang??
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

You're doing it wrong if your sticky tape falls off before the mount breaks.

Not mount, case.
The clear plastic case you put the GoPro in

For skydiving - a cutaway helmet, simple.
"Dream as you'll live forever, live as you'll die today." James Dean

There was a fatal accident in Sweden this year where the metal mount was found broken in half (Fritte's mount: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3858134) and the camera was never found.

There has also been accidents where the gopro case or mount broke, I've not heard of any accidents where the tape broke before the plastic mounts.