skydonkey

Twixtor slo-mo plug in for Vegas

It's used a lot, and for low-cost slow motion, it can't be beat. It's overused a lot, and for the low-cost, can't be beat. :-)

Great product, but a lot like a hit song on the radio. Overused, it becomes an annoyance.

That is the right price but when you start getting into the professional level that is cheap. Some of the stand alone programs that are used in movie and TV production are tens of thousands of dollars for the same basic function (but those look better usually)
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Vegas does a *very* credible job of slo-mo. But it's not Twixtor.

Hold CTRL while dragging out an event. Right click and choose "Force resample" from the Switches menu.
You can get very nice slo mo up to 40% of original speed to look pretty good. There are other tricks that may be employed, but that's the best one out of the box.

I just started using Vegas Studio with my Video Production students, so, I'm asking questions that may be remedial to some.... sorry, but what does the force resample do? And, what does the plug ins do better?

We just started doing green screens and adding effects to "blow things up" The more I do the more I want to learn.:)

Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

ive seen some slow-motion where the speed follows a line similar to envolpe controls for volume and pan as apposed to taking a clip and slowing it down to 40% which results in jerky transitions. This can be hidden by buy putting the change from slow-mo to regular speed on a beat in the music track. Are there other programs that provide slow-mo function to a timeline ? $300ish for twixtor seem to be a bit much to smooth out and do slow-mo a little bit better than vegas can

if it was "a little better" you'd be right. Twixtor is a lot better. It has much better interpolation and resampling algorithms than Vegas does.

You can insert a velocity envelope and force resample.
Force resample demands that Vegas look at every frame (actually at sample level) before rendering it when it's invoked. Vegas does a much better job of slo-mo than any of it's competitors (sans plugins) but it's still not remotely close to Twixtor and other higher end timewarping tools.

"A little better" may have been an understatement. the velocity envelope i can see being very usefull in tandem video and would be a time saver for time warping in tandem videos. having the ability to see a moment in the the video and slow it down and bring it back to normal speed and change it to dial it in with something as simple as a line is very useful.
The $300 just pushes me away from the table

I wouldn't use the velo envelope, but I can see how some folks would appreciate it being there.
I'd split out the exit and slow it down separately. Makes for easy connection to the rest of the freefall, too. Wait...that's exactly how I do it. :-)