DSE

Canon C300PL

http://usa.canon.com/cusa/professional/products/professional_cameras/cinema_eos_cameras/eos_c300

Saw this at Content Creation World, and just today got some test footage. For those that want RED but can't swing it, this is darn close for half the total.
Around 16k for the camera body, PL or Canon lenses may be used.
It's a pleasant surprise to see that Vegas11 reads the MP2 codec with no re-wrap.

Spot,
I read about this new Canon C300PL right after its announcement.
Based on the specs it seems to me it’s pretty similar to Sony’s FS100U
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/761578-REG/Sony_NEX_FS100U_NEX_FS100E_Super_35mm_Sensor.html
The major difference is the Canon can record 50Mbps 4:2:2 onto a memory card vs. Sony’s 28Mbps. But apparently Sony is capable to record 4:4:4 onto an external device via HDMI. The price tag is lot better of Sony as well.
But unfortunately I didn’t have a chance (yet) using any of these cameras, so all I see is the specs available on the internet.
I’m sure your feed back and opinion of these cameras will be very valuable and appreciated when the time comes to make the right choice.

The biggest diff between the Sony and the Canon is that Sony is recording to 4:2:0 AVCHD, and yes...offers 4:4:4 to a Ninja or similar off-board device (which makes it nicer than anything remotely close to it in the price range).

Canon records to MPG2, 4:2:2.

AVCHD is more or less twice as efficient as MPEG 2 at high bitrates, and Canon can't access AVCHD, so it makes sense that they walked away from AVC for this camera and went with a better encode for the bit cost.

It is indeed designed to compete with the F3 (not the FS100). Same price point, similar features. http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/product-PMWF3L/

I have not shot any footage with the Canon outside of a trade room, and the test footage I received is pretty camera specific, so no way to compare. I've got a coupla hours behind the F3, and it's very impressive. IMO, these are what Scarlet wanted to be, but couldn't quite compete. We're doing a shootout in DC right after Thanksgiving; I'll have a better-informed opinion then.

Thank you for the info Spot!
ps. for jumping the FS100 would be my choice right now because of the cost/weight/performance ratio

Be sure you balance well in advance, with lens. Jumped it on two different helmets...with a 14L, it's a weird balance in your hand and head. Looks terrific tho:P
Put a 3D duallie lens on it...it's awesome.