dhr18

Thinking about camera flying.

Let me start by saying I know there are recommendations on jump numbers before jumping a camera and I intend to follow that. Im not looking at getting a go pro strapping it on and jumping tomorrow. What I would like to know is what attractted you to camera work. I'm also starting to look at gear and wonder if I plan to try and jump with cameras after my C license what are some things to take into consideration. I am a fairly conservative jumper and don't plan on rapidly downsizing. Are there better types of rigs or canopy's to consider what about jumpsuit choices? I am talking to jumpers at my home dropzone as well but would like your opions as well.

Do you want to jump with cameras or do you want to do camera flying? These are two different things.

With camera flying I started practicing tandem video's and 2- 4 way video just paying my own slot.
When the dropzone needed a cameraman they asked me and started doing paid tandem video's and got asked to do video for a 4 way team pretty quick.

You want a canopy that opens soft (especially when your jumping with more than one camera)
And a suit or a jacket with wings..

I am a newcomer to skydiving. I have been working with and using video for more than 30 years and see it as a great learning tool. Also, for journal type work.

I also am looking forward to the day when I might jump with a camera, not camera flying. Reading about camera concerns in the SIM, I recall a comment like,....."no matter what size the camera is". I can see the case of camera flying where what is recorded influences the attention of the jumper as a big issue.

But in the case were a recording device no larger than a pack of chewing gum is just along for the ride and is safely out of the way of being entangled, I do see that is a completely different matter. I don't see it is a matter to be taken lightly, but different.

I am not posting here to challange conventional wisdom. I would like to understand more of what the issues are in regards to jumping with a small camera (not camera flying).

One thing I really wish I could do is to voice record under canopy so I can make notes on my training.

Thanks,
Dan
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

The reason why your not allowed to jump with a camera yes is because it is an distraction because you want things in your video like the plane on exit or other jumpers. Not only because of it's size.

And jumping with a camera isn't as much fun as you would think because you are not the one you see in the video..

One thing I really wish I could do is to voice record under canopy so I can make notes on my training.

Training and jumping with a camera do not go together. Finish your training, get a lot more jumps, then ask at your DZ for camera flying advice.
"For you see, an airplane is an airplane. A landing area is a landing area. But a dropzone... a dropzone is the people."