PhreeZone

Resizing GoPro footage

Is there a good way to get GoPro footage shot at 1280*960 to scale to 1920*1080? With 1280*720 it is at least in a 16:9 format and it easily rescales. Having the footage in 4:3 dimensions really sucks when trying to build it into a project containing all 16:9 footage.

On a side note its an incredibly stupid decision to still include a 4:3 native dimension in something that is meant to shoot HD.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

You lose more than a few pixels, you lose a decent amount (as you have probably experienced) and now to keep the action centered I'm going to have to motion track it to keep things centered. Its just amazing to me that the would include a setting that would let you still shoot in 4:3 these days...
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

You don't really loose them if you consider them 'pixels you would not have shot anyways, if you had recorded in 16:9 directly'.

The 4:3 setting is one most cameras include for action povs, where 16:9 would cut of a part of the action. It may shoot a large part of screen you will cut in editing, but for analysis and learning, those extra pixels can come in handy.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

You lose more than a few pixels, you lose a decent amount (as you have probably experienced) and now to keep the action centered I'm going to have to motion track it to keep things centered. Its just amazing to me that the would include a setting that would let you still shoot in 4:3 these days...

When working with mixed footage I scale it all up and motion track it up and down. You can do it by hand in premier if it's fairly basic, otherwise run it through something that can do vertical only motion tracking.

I know it sounds like a pain in the ass but I have found that in the end, it makes a better video anyways. I have mostly produced DVD grade output stuff from HD footage cause i wanted to be able to pan the video around some. Skydivers aren't super great at holding their head still.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

You lose more than a few pixels

Compared to filming in 720p you don't actually lose anything. Just like Jarno said GoPro just makes the cut for you if you choose to film in 720p.

Its just amazing to me that the would include a setting that would let you still shoot in 4:3 these days...

And for me it's just perfect mode for briefing, especially in freeflying. You get a lot wider view vertically. And if I'll edit a final video in 16:9, I'll just select what shows most in the middle.:)

They give you the bigger image so it captures more of the centered action, plus it matches the aspect of the imager, so it's a cleaner image (no transsizing)

In post, you have to crop or scale, and motion track if you're doing wide delivery.
In Vegas, I have a preset that applies to all of thesekinds of clips