aeroflyer

Most snag-free go-pro or contour mount?

I am thinking about getting a go-pro or similar camera in the future, and was wondering if there are any snag-free mounts available. I saw this one at square1 which I think is the best I have come across so far:

http://www.square1.com/manufacturers/square1/p522.asp#GoProMounts

Although it still looks like a line could go underneath the edge of the mount? And catch on the screw?

Anyway, I would like to use the camera for longboarding at the moment, I am a bit hesitant to use it skydiving till I get more experience, based on the horror stories I've read.

The term 'snag free' is a tough one to define, as almost any mount on the market can get snagged somehow.

IMO the trick is reducing the snag points and putting them in the places less likely to be snagged. Also, how are you going to attach it? Nylon screws are better... what about a helmet cutaway?

Talk to your local camera guys, they'll show you all kinds of things that could possibly scare the crap out of you when you see how dangerous some are.

I cringe when I see camera fliers that don't stow their brake lines... 10" of line just floating around on each side of your helmet, waiting to snag something. [:/]

"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Nylon screws are supposed to break off , but if they don't your screwed! The sticky pad takes approximately 100 pounds of force to break off, use the sticky pad and nothing else. My 2 cents. :)

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

I'm not sure how the square1 mount is attached, it might be screws or adhesive. But 100 pounds to take off an adhesive mount? I think that's dangerous.. if the PC got its bridle caught, it wouldn't be pulling that off anytime soon.

Most of the go-pro mounts i've seen are not snag-free (or resistant), but the square1 mount is heading in the right direction. Is it that skydivers just don't care? I have seen many of those extendable go-pro mounts around a foot long, dangling off the wearer's helmet.

The square one mount is the best mount i have seen for snag resistance , not certain on the mounting method though. Screws adhesive etc.. As far as the adhesive go's i have seen people go as far as to put screws combined with the adhesive on their mounts since they are so worried they will loose there precious $300.00 camera! It is really worth dieing for?

A lot of skydivers are so hung ho about getting a camera on there head as soon as they can buy one , regardless of what experienced camera flyer tell them about the dangers of camera!

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

Nylon screws are supposed to break off , but if they don't your screwed! The sticky pad takes approximately 100 pounds of force to break off, use the sticky pad and nothing else. My 2 cents. :)

I TOTALLY AGREE!!! Here's why...1. in the case you fly any camera on any helmet, totally need a cutaway system of course. If you choose not to, it's up to you and your dzo. If no cutaway, then the alternate means is to provide "a way" to compromise not having a cutaway. IE the sticky mount.

Total case and point: Xtreme boggie in Puerto Rico this past FEB my buddy mike and I do a 2 way freefly. He wanted to borrow my GP HD and only had a Skysystems HR2 helmet (No cutaway). Mount the GP on top with a curve mount. Exited over water and pitched over water... and he had to chop his main from a spinning malfunction...risers snagged the GP clean off his head!!!! Helmet stayed... we got to the ground on the beach and he said he was more frustrated with losing my GP than chopping. I told him your life isn't worth 250 bucks... don't worry about it. We would hate to think what would have happened if it was hard mounted (know it's the principle behind this story; try not to reason with what ifs) Even though I was out a GP I still had my CX100 on a bonehead OPTIK with a cutaway. I've also seen a lot of GPs get lost at my home DZ due to snags and chops and I've been jumping one since GPs have been out. So take it for what it's worth. And it's true... video makes jumps a little more interesting... and proof what really happened in the air! HA. Blues!

so will it suffice then to make sure you have an actual chincup helmet cutaway? im going to call BH right now to see if i can come pick one up before the boogie starts............id rather lose my entire helmet and cam than get wrapped up and fucked...............
gravity brings me down.........