TonyJ

Picts of a go pro and a g2/3?

In reference to how it compares to a contour

Video comparison
http://gizmodo.com/5852612/gopro-hero-2-lightning-review-best-sports-cam-ever

Or below copied and paste without link to the video comparison

Video shot with the HD Hero looked good. This looks way better. They put a fancy new sensor in there and it really delivers. Colors were way more vibrant and realistic, details were sharper, and brightness and contrast are much more balanced. The older Hero had a tendency to be washed out and blown out; that doesn't happen anymore (see first water shots in the video). You can also now get a full 170 degree field of view while shooting 1080p, and it has more options for frame-rates and sizes. It can shoot stills at 11 megapixels vs 5 megapixels on the Hero 1, and it can process images much faster, meaning you can take a time-lapse with one shot every half-second, or you can shoot 10-shot-per-second bursts.

The Hero's UI has been refined, making it much easier to set up. It's actual words on the little screen now, not incomprehensible abbreviations. There are now 4 LEDs that blink while you're recording, so you know you're rolling no matter which way it's facing. The Hero 2 has added a mini HDMI out and some built-in Wi-Fi awesomeness. GoPro's upcoming Wi-Fi BacPac will allow for remote control and realtime streaming from the Hero 2, which is pretty sweet. Lastly, the Hero 2 is the exact same size/shape/configuration as the Hero 1, meaning all of your Hero 1 accessories will fit just fine, including the LCD BacPac which allows you to line up your shots and play them back. And yes, it still comes with its housing that makes it waterproof to 180 feet.

No Like
The Hero 2 performs poorly in nighttime settings, as you can see in the night-biking shots at the end of the comparison video. Yes, it makes the images brighter than the Contour ROAM it was next to, but it brings in a ton of noise and graininess to do it. Also, while the UI is extremely improved over its last iteration, that's not saying a ton. Navigating through the settings is still a slow, unwieldy process. Also, the buttons can be stiff, which sometimes makes turning it on/off tougher.

Oww my ears! At the default setting the Hero 2 is super loud. I had to turn it down 4-7db in the video because it was peaking like crazy. There's a setting for wind-reduction which I haven't messed with yet, but it seems to me that the default should have a bit less gain. Also, while it's great that there's a mounting system for virtually every application you can think of, it's worth noting that setting these up is not always easy and intuitive. To mount it to my handle bars I would have had to put a strange 90-degree extender on it that would have made it extremely unstable. Instead I opted to hang it upside down from a bar-end, which wasn't ideal.

Full size

Should I Buy It?
Bottom line: this thing is killer. While I still want to do some more testing to be sure, if I had to pick one from all the sports cams currently on the market, I'd grab this one. The images it takes are great. It's not just HD-sized, it actually looks HD. I like the Contour ROAM a lot, but the Hero 2 has more options and the image quality simply wins. I really didn't like how the Hero 2 looked on my night-ride, but you're more likely to using it during daylight hours, anyway. I expect to see a lot these nestled under "Holiday Flora" come December (how's that for non-denominational?). You can get the Surf Edition, Outdoor Edition, or Motorsports Edition, all of which are available now for $299. [GoPro]

Notes on the Comparison Video:
-There are great waves and great surfers in Hawaii, and there are great trails and great mountain bikers in Colorado. I'm a blogger and I live in Brooklyn. Working with what I've got here.
-This video is compressed somewhat, but if you watch it at 1080p it'll give you a pretty good idea of how they compare.
-In the biking shots with the ROAM you'll notice that the vibration makes the screen look almost liquid, where as the Heroes managed it pretty well. It's possible that this is because of the way the ROAM was mounted (a special rubber strap), or maybe the Heros just absorb shock better.
-I haven't yet received my surf kit for the ROAM so I had to leave it out of the water test.
-The night shots were filmed on two separate nights. The ROAM had the disadvantage of it being slightly rainy, but for my money it still looks better. The Hero 2 may be brighter, but the image looks terrible.

UPDATE: If you want to see what the Hero 2 is really capable of, here is GoPro's official promo video. Not surprisingly, it is much, much cooler than mine
For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

better than a gopro 2?

I think Drift cameras are a Great product with Lots of innovation but a NZ guy I jumped with this summer had a lot of trouble with his.

He went through 3 cameras in 4 months before getting a full refund and buying a gopro. That said, assuming the manufacture fixes the few bugs that we've seen it will be an AWESOME piece of equipment. Def. on the right track.

He probably had one of the first cameras and they have long been replaced with the Stealth 170 version. There are many that I know of personally that are working perfectly with no issues including my own.
They recently released an even newer smaller version that completely blows the goPro away.
Yes, even the goPro 2.
And now with the LED light similar to the Hypeye for the CX it's even better than better.

The only way to show which one would be better would be to mount a GoPro2 and the new drift or contour side by side and have them recording on the same jump.....analyze the image quality and judge for yourself......

Here is hypoxic's comparison from the older versions....I still would believe that the GoPro2 would be better though than the newer competition....of course can never compare to a full size camcorder like sony

http://www.gethypoxic.com/reviews-tests-hacks/tests.html
For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

I have my GP mounted like the picture posted above, so do several other people who jump GPs at my DZ. If you mount it far enough back while still having the helmet out of shot, you can open the visor far enough to be out of your vision when the GP is on. With the GP off, the shield misses the GP mount.

I really like the idea of the side mount on the G2/3, seems like a really good option to me but I haven't tried it.

The problem with side mounting is riser strikes knocking the camera off. You really want the camera to come off in case of a line snag so side mounting doesn't make much sense.
As far as comparing I have mounted both the goPro 2 and the Drift side by side. The drift looks better while playing back on a 50in HD LCD TV. They both recorded in 60fps and edited equally well. It was easy to tell which was which post production though because the goPro has that "goPro" look to it where the Drift does not. I should note that while I had no choice but to mount the goPro directly in the center on top I was able to mount the Drift anywhere on the helmet at any angle. I had it mounted it on top off to the side of center and with the adjustable lens was able to orient the picture normally.
I don't have any video to post at the moment. Maybe someday when I have some time I will put something together.
The Drift is really worth checking out. Someday when they get their marketing people off their asses it will overtake the goPro. In the meantime don't take my word for it go check it out.