spoons

Century Precision Optics 0.5x for tandems?

Hi all,

I recently switched to a CX115 camera, but I'm currently just using my old 0.3x SD lens (zoomed in a bit).

I want to get a new lens for filming stuff in HD/16:9 and I'm trying to work out if the Century Precision Optics 0.5x lens would be wide enough for filming tandems?

Does anyone use this and could help or even have footage they could upload/send me? :)
Thanks,
Alan.

Depends on your definition of wide enough. I will tell you I have been using this lens for a while and its AMAZING (although I need a better filter).

With my cx110 with the .5 sitting next to my Rebel Xti with a sigma 15mm. They frame almost identical depth.

If you use this lens I would recommend a multi-coat or high end filter to protect the lens from debris. No sense in upgrading the lens if its gonna get scratched.

Depends on your definition of wide enough

That's a fair point! :)

recommend a multi-coat or high end filter

I'd not even thought of filters, I've done a quick search and there seem to be a lot to chose from. I'm not sure what to get...if it's just a debris/scratch guard then I'm assuming a cheap UV filter would be good enough?

How about a Kenko 67mm UV filter or Hoya 67mm UV filter?

Sure, buy a good lens and put a crappy piece of plastic/glass in front.

Like the post above yours says, get a high-end multi coated filter, not a cheap ass one otherwise there's not much point in upgrading your lens.

I never use a filter for that reason: a good filter costs $$$ (and if scratched would also need replacing) and a cheap filter is useless, so I just go without and buy a new lens every now and then and try to avoid any scratching.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Sure, buy a good lens and put a crappy piece of plastic/glass in front.

Fair point :$ but in my defence, the Hoya lens is a multi-coated UV filter lens...from my limited review it seems like it is middle of the road with something like B+W being top quality?

...try to avoid any scratching.

Managed that so far with my SD lens, so perhaps this is the better option for me...I need to think about this some more!

Thanks for the feedback! :)
Alan.

Doesn't the CX115 have the same screw on size as the CX100? If it does, I personally would think that the http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/229934-REG/Century_Precision_Optics_0DS_55WA_37_DS_55WA_37_0_55x_Wide_Angle.html would prolly be a more appropriate lense. It's 37MM and comes with the step rings for a 30MM thread.

I use this all the time for tandem video.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I typically fly about 4 feet from the tandem and the Century works great.

It's not very expensive so as it's been said I don't bother with a protective filter. I just take very good care not to ding it up.

It also comes with a metal screw on cover which I put on if I leave it sitting for any length of time.

It's a very nice lens but don't downgrade it with a cheap filter.
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

I shot a lot of 4-way so a filter is a must. The amount of crap (sand, debris) that flies off of them is astounding.

If you are interested in a filter check this thread http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=807555

the Century .55 is a great lens as well. But technically doesn't meet the resolution requirements for HD. Although its about as close as you can get.