KNewman

Camcorders

OK so I have been searching the forums for info on a camcorder and it appears that the cx110 or cx150 are the way to go, looking at amazon there are HDR cx150s available. Are these the same as cx150s? Are they suitable for skydiving?

CX150 = HDR-CX150 yes. The harddrive models are called SR not CX, so don't get a HDR-SR... camera for skydiving purposes.

For skydiving you want a CX model that has EIS, like the CX100, CX105, CX110, CX115,CX116, CX150. You may have to buy one 2nd hand as all the newer models of CX camera have OIS (=optical image stabilisation, which is not so good for skydiving).

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Thanks for the reply

Not finding any of the "EIS" versions out there, what would the recommendation be for a camcorder now?? I really don't want to go the GOPRO or Contour route as I am not overly thrilled with the quality. I don't want to waste money buying something that will not be suitable.

Thanks for the help!!

OK so I have been searching the forums for info on a camcorder and it appears that the cx110 or cx150 are the way to go, looking at amazon there are HDR cx150s available. Are these the same as cx150s? Are they suitable for skydiving?

CX150 = HDR-CX150 yes. The harddrive models are called SR not CX, so don't get a HDR-SR... camera for skydiving purposes.

For skydiving you want a CX model that has EIS, like the CX100, CX105, CX110, CX115,CX116, CX150. You may have to buy one 2nd hand as all the newer models of CX camera have OIS (=optical image stabilisation, which is not so good for skydiving).

Uh, sort of wrong. HDR XR-110/150 = Hard drive based version of CX.

DCR-SX series = flash based, standard def, DCR-SR = Hard drive based standard def.

just bought a HDR- cx150 at a local pawn shop...
camera , charger, and battery.. 200 bucks. USD>
i HAVE the output cables since i have a cx 110 and also have a few memory sticks that are compatible ..so felt that the "non complete" package was still a sensible deal at 2 bills...
good luck to the O P ,,, in the search.
jmy

Hi, I wasnt aware about the EIS/OIS problem - How do you tell which from of Image Stabilisation the camera actually has (Is it written anywhere or in a menu etc..), as I am lead to believe, there is no difference in the model numbers etc.[:/]
Mant thanks!

Thanks for your reply - where exactly are the specifications though? I'm in the position of the third party as I have emailed a couple of companies about the ones they have in stock and they have came back to me saying that they do not know. They have informed me that they can't find anything in the instructions and it is not written on the box or the camera itself.

If it is stated in the instruction booklet, does anyone have a page number / heading / sub heading that it's under etc?

Many thanks! - I didn't think for one min that the transition to HD would be so complex! :D

Sony has them on their site. find your cam and click the specs tab. example :

http://tinyurl.com/3ebrxkk

Yea I know which models to use but, as per earlier in this particular thread, some are made with EIS and the newer ones are made with OIS. However, the model numbers are exactly the same a far as I am aware, which makes it very difficult to distinguish if you are buying the correct camera without actually seeing it first - therefore, buying online seems to be a nightmare at the min! The companies I have contacted sofar do not seem to be able to establish if the ones they have advertised are EIS or OIS.

The model numbers are not the same. Zlew gave you an easy way to check the models that dragon provided earlier in this thread as EIS. Buying online may be your only option for some of the older models that are EIS.

Please pay attention and fill out your profile. :P

Lance

Thanks Lance, I'll put myself on the naughty step! ;)

I've actually spoken to Sony about this directly (here in the UK) and they have assured me that, for example a cx-115E, if bought from old stock, may have EIS. However, any of the newer batches, without any changes to the original model number (still cx-115e) will now have OIS.

They then went on to tell me that they cannot differentiate between them when purchasing online, as the sales person on the telephone or internet only redirects the order to a warehouse person who will pick the first cx-115e up off the shelf, regardless of EIS or OIS (EIS/OIS must not be stated on the box I assume?).

I tried using the website link posted earlier but it only appears to give the spec for the newer made versions of each model (You'd expect at least CX-115e Mk1 / Mk2!!!). Either that or they minimise' what info they supply on the website by putting, copied strainght from the Sony website: "SteadyShot (Image Stabilisation) = SteadyShot Active Mode" which does not state wheter it is Electronic or Optical.

The problem also arose when contacting private sellers - who do not know where to find the specification of the devices they are selling. I have descriptively asked which variation (OIE/EIS) their device is but they appear to have great difficulty in ascertaining the information. Which is why I could be doing wih knowing where exactly it is stated on the device/box/instruction booklet.