Laszloimage

Canon 1D X

At last Canon announced a new pro level camera the 1D X.
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_1d_x#Overview
While it’s big, heavy, and I assume will be pricey this camera gives some ideas (I guess) about the 5D MK2 replacement.
-Laszlo-

Early reports on the price's are putting it in the $6800 range... you planning to pick one up?

Where do you see the 5D line going? I was hoping that they might switch out sensors to the Foveon type sensors with this upgrade... but alas they just threw more horse power at it. Quite successfully from the looks of the specs though! :)

At last Canon announced a new pro level camera the 1D X.
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_1d_x#Overview
While it’s big, heavy, and I assume will be pricey this camera gives some ideas (I guess) about the 5D MK2 replacement.
-Laszlo-

Early reports on the price's are putting it in the $6800 range... you planning to pick one up?

Where do you see the 5D line going? I was hoping that they might switch out sensors to the Foveon type sensors with this upgrade... but alas they just threw more horse power at it. Quite successfully from the looks of the specs though! :)

Did Canon license Foveon and I missed it? Canon builds their own, and is an OEM to others.

Given some of their video direction, I'd imagine they'll stick with their guns for at least two more generations. CCW showed some interesting things in the front and back rooms.

Did Canon license Foveon and I missed it? Canon builds their own, and is an OEM to others.

There have been rumors on other boards on and off about them developing their own Foveon 'type' of sensor and maybe moving to it, but as with many rumors, it's hard to know what is true and what is not. As I don't understand how the video part of it plays into it, I don't really know what it would take to move toward that type of a sensor. I do know that in reading up on the two different types of sensors that Foveon type stuff looks very, very promising and cool. I'm sure you understand it far better than I do tho!

Intresting. This is the first full frame camera from canon that is a good choice for sports photographers also. I wonder how the pro sport photographers take this ? At least its going to affect their FOV now. I would assume most would still prefer the APS-H, at least for shooting at larger focal lengths ?

I'm not planning to pick one up... I'm waiting for the 5D Mk2 replacement. Where it's going??? Based on the 1DX probably the same sensor and similar processing but slower frame rate. Also enhanced video features, and of course smaller/lighter and lot cheaper (the usual $3,000 range). It's all my speculation though... Will see hopefully soon:)