jephprospect

Why separate camera for stills and video?

I think in the next few years we will be able to do it with just one camera. Things seem to be improving all the time, but they are not there just yet.

The frame grabs we can get from most of the current cameras right now, IMO, rate in the mid level point and shoot quality. They are pretty good for web use, but not good enough for enlargements.

I think in the next few years the quality will improve enough that the majority of camera fliers will only shoot video, and grab the stills from frame grabs. However there will almost always be a time/place for a true DSLR. Even if the video cameras can match the quality, there will always be times where the photographer will want or need the level of control control that a good DSLR and selection of lenses will provide.

I only put my DSLR on when I really need to. I don't shoot for the school right now (tandems/aff's etc.) so unless there is a real specific need for stills....I just use my cx150 and grab the frames as needed. The pics get used often on facebook for profile pics and that type of stuff, and I have half the weight, half the snag hazard, half the $$, and other things to consider on top of my head. I also like to shoot inside video, and not having the DSLR up there makes that pretty easy to do also. I can post a link to example grabs if you would like to see.

I hope the day where we can get good 6-10MP stills from frame grabs on the smaller format cameras isn't too far away.

>I think in the next few years the quality will improve enough that the
>majority of camera fliers will only shoot video, and grab the stills from
>frame grabs.

While I agree with that general sentiment, I strongly suspect that that video will come from a DSLR; I already shoot video with my T3i. All that needs to be added is the ability to intersperse full-frame sensor captures along with the decimated video sensor captures.

In general DSLR's are going to have better sensors and better glass available than video cameras.

In general DSLR's are going to have better sensors and better glass available than video cameras.

... I'd agree with this! In fact, we're including "DLSR Video" into our Digital Photography course curriculum. B| I would, however, venture to guess this will take a few more years to be practicle for skydiver use. :)
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

I've looked into it pretty extensively with the ML project for higher end Canon cameras. The simple fact is that the hardware (sensors and frame buffer) is not able to do it yet.

You can't move the sheer amount of data required for a high resolution frame in the required amount of time to get a clear and jello/blur free image. Stills are shot with a shutter that "exposes" the sensor and then in the few ms that follow the complete data is read.

I am looking forward to the new mirrorless SLRs that are coming out as they will hold promise in much lighter setups. My neck is always sore from a BH flattop CX100 and 50D so I've been paying close attention.

-Michael