falxori

Wings reserve deployment (and capewell pins)

do you know whether wings has a pre-assembled reserve deployment system ?

my container's DOM is feb 02.
i have 10-01 stamped on the reserve handle, which is prior to the dates specified in the capewell SB.
but i dont know if sunrise get the system (RC handle and pin) as a whole or maybe they assemble it themselves.

i'm waiting for answers from my rigger.
does anybody know?

O
"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."

Well, I just have happened to talk to Paige on the phone yesterday.

Here's the short story: Yes, get it tested! Howerver, they have been doing a LOT of testing in house and haven't found any problems with their batches of pins that failed (yet).

Sidenote: I had mine tested yesterday and it was fine.B|
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

i was at the DZ when it just came out.
thought of testing it then but since there is a chance of bending the pin while testing it, i decided to wait until we know more about the problem, and stayed grounded.

i'll get it tested next time i'm there, hopefully i won't have to replace the whole thing...
but, better safe than sorry...

O
"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."

my container's DOM is feb 02.
i have 10-01 stamped on the reserve handle, which is prior to the dates specified in the capewell SB.

Wings buys large batches of reserve handles at a time from various vendors. A batch may last them quite a while. That would explain why your rig was made in Feb 02 and the handle is marked 10/01. It certainly wouldn't hurt to get it checked anyway, but technically you do not fall within the requirements of CW03-01

-OK
Time flies like an arrow....fruit flies like a banana

I wasn't trying to imply that they were immune, just that they haven't seen a problem *yet*.

Tell the owner to call Paige Monday morning to tell her about the failure, since as of Friday afternoon they hadn't heard of any yet. It'd help them out a lot!

We had a Wings fail on the firt day of testing (it was the riggers own rig of all things), so don't assume that Wings or any rig are immune.

Do you mean the pin BROKE or bent?
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Sorry but certainly I missed something and excuse me for the stupid question. I have a Wings from june 2002. Should I be afraid of any problem with the reserve pin? I live in Uruguay, South America and it is a bit far away from Sunrise Rigging...

HISPA # 18 POPS # 8757

Please look up the threads in this forum about the Capewell reserve pins. It is an industry wide problem, not just the Wings.

You'll also find the FSB on it and how to have your rigger test it.

Tom,

Checked several rigs this weekend. Only one failure (bend) and it was on a replacement RC purchased November 02 however,they did not have a batch/date stamp on them, only the TSO.

The rigger/DZO who installed it called the supplier as he had a couple others and was told they probably did not need to be tested.

Very interesting, don't know if its the supplier or the rigger trying to CYA.....

On the soft RC handle from Sunpath, the batch number was within the test requirement and the unit passed. I simply market it with a permanent marker by the batch tab.

After testing several rigs, I'm not very confident in the testing method. I use a calibrated spring scale that is calibrated against weights and digital however, this did not "feel" the same as a pull test.

Let me know how everyone else is doing with this and any suggestions.

Blues,

J.E.

Blues,

J.E.
James 4:8

The pin BENT. I think total count after a weekend at my DZ was 2 or 3 pins bent and the rest passed with flying colors.

First typing said it broke... it was late and after a lot of jumping :$

I'm yet to see a pin break in real life.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Maybe this is a stupid question, but the SB covers pins fron 01 to current. If you have a defective pin how are we to replace it? Have they found the problem and made a "new batch" of pins.

They will probably replace it with one that passes the test. That's my guess.

Ya know, I've heard of quite a few pins bending, but on at least a handful of them, the test wasn't being doneto spec.

If you don't get all the bits (loop, pull up cord, etc) in just the right place, you really risk putting too much lever arm into the test and bending the pin.

Just be careful!

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

Hey man,
Que tal las cosas en Uruguay? que persepcion tienen de las boludeces que estan haciendo en Argentina?
Solo queria tener una opinion de un vecino, porque es dificil de ver las cosas de adentro (mi flia)
Un abrazo
Cielos Azules
Pablito

"If you don't overcome your fears they will overcome you first"
Shady Monkey/6Segundos Rodriguez/AKA Pablito