TVPB

GoPro Fatality - Coming to a DZ Near U!

It's only a matter of who and when and where?

Please prove me wrong people's. I love being wrong when thinking of bad shit.

Someone needs to come up with a snag free / reduced mount and we need to keep students off this gear.

We learned in the old days about hooks on boots, cutaways on camera helmets, and minimising catch points. Now we have gone backwards again.

"Oooohhh but it so small and cute and I love the photo's of myself"!

It is a great camera. I have one.

Just be careful out there.
Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

Not sure who moderated that one - but someone else's bridle wrapped around the camera on your helmet rates as an incident to me (yes, I can see it's relevance in the photo group, but).

The other factor is that most GoPro's are not really worn by "photographers" but rather, just participants on skydives.

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

Already been a fatality due to a bridle/GoPro snag during a BASE jump. And recently at Lost Prairie, there was a fatality involving a low time jumper using a camera.

>"Oooohhh but it so small and cute and I love the photo's of myself"!

I think one thing to keep in mind is that, historically, the risk of distraction with small cameras is a far higher risk than the risk of snags (although both are, of course, issues.)

But so many 50 jump wonders have mad skillz now, it must be safe. And then there is the "coolness" factor

I'm trying to figure out why you are throwing this grenade when the picture has nothing to do with a 50-jump wonder wearing a camera.

Why are "50-jump wonders" all of a sudden responsible for the actions of this AFF-I.
"Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing, than a long life spent in a miserable way." - Alan Watts

Already been a fatality due to a bridle/GoPro snag during a BASE jump. And recently at Lost Prairie, there was a fatality involving a low time jumper using a camera.

>"Oooohhh but it so small and cute and I love the photo's of myself"!

I think one thing to keep in mind is that, historically, the risk of distraction with small cameras is a far higher risk than the risk of snags (although both are, of course, issues.)

How exactly did the LP fatality result from a GoPro? Do you know for sure it was a low time jumper?

Having a camera is going to greatly help the aff instructor show the student where he needs to improve and is a great review of the dive to show diveflow issues and show the student the positives in the jump.

I do agree this cuts out the video guy but lets face it people are cheap and wont pay for the video unless its mandatory ( I myself never had video in aff 3 yrs ago for that reason alone ).

Were about better educating the student and progressing the saftey in our sport and this helps greatly. Personally I think there should be a requirement for a gopro camera mounted in a no snag spot on the helmet permanantly that the instructor turns on before the student jumps. Now we have the ability to see how the student flys patterns and what they do under canopy ( ie following the pattern, reactions, etc)

Snag hazards will be an issue and the go pro can definetly decrease their mount issues. lets remember that they are not only making mounts for us skydivers, so we may have to improvise adapt and overcome these obstacles. Surfers and mtn bikers dont worry about a canopys bridle catching their mounts. There are mounts out there that are better, you dont just have to use the standard one, you may have to look around and spend money though :o:ph34r:

Focus dude. Call him a 250 jump wonder that has just started wearing camera. Call him skygod. Regardless of his talent and experience, he has a bridle snagged on his gear. The point about 50 jumps is that too many inexperienced are wearing these cameras and the skydiving community is allowing this to happen because the camera is "considered small".

Were about better educating the student and progressing the saftey in our sport and this helps greatly. Personally I think there should be a requirement for a gopro camera mounted in a no snag spot on the helmet permanantly that the instructor turns on before the student jumps. Now we have the ability to see how the student flys patterns and what they do under canopy ( ie following the pattern, reactions, etc)

I'm trying to decide if you're serious or not. if you are, then that's just plain fucked up.

If you're trolling for sarcasm...Nice:D you got me.

I do feel it's just a matter of time before a small format camera helps someone kill themselves in a skydive. It's already documented in a BASE jump, and there are dozens of stories that demonstrate how small format cameras impact the thought process/awareness of skydivers.

Really? Are you saying that video is not useful for AFF?

You know damn well what I was saying. In this case the video was not useful in fact it was a foreseeable hazard. The AFF-I’s head is right where the student will release the P/C. If you want video, use a video flyer.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

first, it's the AFF main side forgetting-not thinking about that snag/bridle issue not the student
Second, the student did pay for a REAL video person, otherwise we wouldn't have this picture, im sure he also got video and not just stills. That would be so cool to see. How did they get out of that mess or did it solve itself?

>Only reason for him to be wearing the camera is money. It doesn't add a thing to the jump.

Video actually adds quite a bit to the educational value of the jump for the student. At most DZ's, inside video for debrief purposes is free.

>Only reason for him to be wearing the camera is money. It doesn't add a thing to the jump.

Video actually adds quite a bit to the educational value of the jump for the student. At most DZ's, inside video for debrief purposes is free.

It may be free but the pictures shows it is an unnecessary hazard to the students jump. It’s just my opinion but I think trying to wear too many hats on an AFF jump is a way to get in trouble. As was mentioned, there is outside video, no need for the instructor to wear a camera.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

It may be free but the pictures shows it is an unnecessary hazard to the students jump. It’s just my opinion but I think trying to wear too many hats on an AFF jump is a way to get in trouble. As was mentioned, there is outside video, no need for the instructor to wear a camera.

Sparky

in this case you're right; at any other given dz in my country, i'm hardly aware of ONE where they would use outside-video to debrief their students. i think that would raise the price of AFF from already 3000$ to about 4 grand..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Hi you all!

Before raising wrong thoughts or anything else...

I was the jumpmaster. I was a little bit to high when the student deployed. The bridle did not get stuck around my Gopro, it just got a way. Lucky me.

I never ask money for video, it is just an extra for debriefing. I'm not going to say that gopro is dangerous, but people always have to take notice of these situations.

Never, say never....

Get a grip

How about - 'the female BASE jumper that died was a very good friend of mine".

Is that enough grip for you?

Perhaps you should release a little grip. Allow the blood to flow to the other brain.

Come withe me on a safety journey.

:P

Now some feedback about risk management and being open minded and willing to learn. You should try it. It may not give you eternal life, but it certainly increases the probability of longer duration.

"If I can save ONE person, then it will all be worth it".

"All trends start with only a single event or incident".

"Not recognizing risk, or shrugging it off, is the first step towards a near miss, which is followed by an incident, which eventually leads to something a lot more serious if not managed early".

"Teaching people to be careful and to recognize hazards is building a safety culture. It does not stop activity, rather it allows people to progress further, and to manage their risks at higher levels. The consequence or likelihood does not increase, but the fun does".

"Having your head firmly planted up your bottom stinks'. It's no fun!
:P

p.s. snags and catches are becoming very common - everything from oxygen hoses on high altitude record attempts to bridle entanglements. You should try grounding your opinion on fact - and spend the rest of your time absorbing the fundamental message - snag points (regardless of what brand / style of camera you GoPro fan you) are not good. This is OLD news.