sundevil777

Are "good" pins good enough?

I am suprised that nobody has raised the question of whether the existing design is adequate.

We've have had the opportunity to see the test procedure (15 lb applied a short distance from the loop) and I think pins should be able to withstand a LOT more than this.

I have read and heard of many instances where riggers admit they can bend a pin with too much tension on a closing loop. Years ago I noticed a bent pin during a friends gear check. In my opinion this should simply NOT be possible for a rigger to do this, or for you to do it to yourself by leaning back on something.

We should not have to rely on a reserve pull force limit to control excessive tension and resultant bent pins.

Maybe all such incidents were examples of defective pins. I don't think so.

The strength could be increased in many ways. A slight increase in the diameter would help greatly (does moment of inertia increase by the radius/diameter ^3 for a circular cross-sec?).

If a rig manufacturer offered a rig with a much stronger pin, I believe it would be very popular.

In an earlier post I stated my opinion on the inadequacy of ripcord pins, nobody had any comment on the subject, so I bring it up again.

What do you think?
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

The current standard has worked well for the last 50 years.
The incidence of bent or broken pins in service is tiny.
Why change it?
Originally the diameter of pins was determined by the size of holes drilled through the brass "cones' that hold military containers closed.
Seeing as how metal cones disappeared from skydiving 20 years ago, diameter has become less important.
The original poster has a good point about perhaps increasing the diameter of pins a little. That would definitely increase strength.

Let's be very cautious about "re-inventing the wheel." The last thing we want to do is copy the pins sold by hank Ascuitto 20 years ago.

Maybe we should rethink the whole issue in light of recent advances in pack density. Just as brass grommets have fallen to the way side because they cannot survive the pressure of modern containers, we may have to re-think ripcord pin strength.
It seems that the bulk of bent pins these days are caused by canopy bulk.
Please excuse the pun.
Customers are routinely asking riggers to stuff reserves into containers they were never designed for. Customers always seem to err on the side of canopies that are too bulky for their containers. In their struggles to cram "10 pounds into 5 pound bags" riggers occaissionally bend pins.

In conclusion, we could devote hundreds of thousands of dollars to research and development - developing a new standard for ripcord pins - or we could "pack in accordance with the container manufacturer's instructions."

...You can get a stronger reserve pin, at least from RWS. The Skyhook uses a 'monoeye' reserve pin setup that uses a tandem reserve pin, which is a big ol' hunk of metal compared to the standard sport reserve pins I've seen.

I'm not a rigger, but just looking at the pin makes it obvious that it's a much beefier hunk of metal than the standard ones, although (as Riggerrob said) the standard ones have been in use a long time and have very few problems.

Of course, you could keep the same design as we currently have and just use stronger metal, like titanium or a stronger SS alloy. It would raise the price of reserve handles a lot, and I don't know that jumpers would like that though.
7CP#1 | BTR#2 | Payaso en fuego Rodriguez
"I want hot chicks in my boobies!"- McBeth

I am suprised that nobody has raised the question of whether the existing design is adequate.

We've have had the opportunity to see the test procedure (15 lb applied a short distance from the loop) and I think pins should be able to withstand a LOT more than this.

I have read and heard of many instances where riggers admit they can bend a pin with too much tension on a closing loop. Years ago I noticed a bent pin during a friends gear check. In my opinion this should simply NOT be possible for a rigger to do this, or for you to do it to yourself by leaning back on something.

We should not have to rely on a reserve pull force limit to control excessive tension and resultant bent pins.

Maybe all such incidents were examples of defective pins. I don't think so.

The strength could be increased in many ways. A slight increase in the diameter would help greatly (does moment of inertia increase by the radius/diameter ^3 for a circular cross-sec?).

If a rig manufacturer offered a rig with a much stronger pin, I believe it would be very popular.

In an earlier post I stated my opinion on the inadequacy of ripcord pins, nobody had any comment on the subject, so I bring it up again.

What do you think?

This is an engineering issue. Rather than polling a discussion group, maybe a proper engineering analysis would be in order.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I am very suprised and disappointed that there is so little demand for improvement, and so much acceptance of, what to me, is an obviously inadequate design.

I think we should be able to lean back hard against the interior of the plane, or push up against the top frame of an otter door, without the slightest thought of our reserve pin bending or breaking. Currently, this is not the case.

I think the ability to bend a reserve pin should not be the limiting factor that prevents a reserve from being packed into too small of a container.

I think the pin for our main is now stronger than our reserve, and it is OK if it gets bent more.

We get stainless or nickel plated hardware for appearance reasons, but wonder if it might cost too much to develop or manufacture a stronger reserve pin. Give me a break.

Whether it is 8, 11, or 15 pounds at whatever moment arm, this seems obviously wimpy to me.

I hope the industry has more sense to improve the pin than the apparent customer demand would warrant.

Rob, what was the deal with Hank Ascuito's pin design?
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I'm with sundevil777 on this, just because a design or method has been used for 20 years does not mean that we should not be looking at ways to improve it. Lets face it, skydiving now is a far cry from what people were doing back then, with new equipment, jump styles, freeflying, swooping and very high performance canopies, we are pushing the boundries all the time. It's not like it's gonna cost a fortune to use slightly larger diameter pins is it?. Even though the incident rate is minimal, you may reconsider if YOU were included in this number. Anything that makes this potentialy dangerous sport a bit safer is fine by me. Not that we want to wrap ouselves in cooton wool, but why take any more risks than we need to?

"It's not like it's gonna cost a fortune to use slightly larger diameter pins is it?."

Okay, I do pipes, pumps, and control systems for an entirely different type of rig, so am just thinking out loud...

Won't larger diameter pins create more 'sticktion'/friction at the loop leading to increased pull force required?
There must be 'tougher' /'stiffer' materials available ...This means we wouldn't have to change anything else..... We shouldn't reinvent the wheel, just make it out of better materials.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

What exactly are the benefits of an 'unbreakable' reserve pin?

It is more likely to clear the loop when you pull on it.

This is an engineering issue. Rather than polling a discussion group, maybe a proper engineering
analysis would be in order.

Maybe the engineers haven't been asked to do a "proper engineering analysis" yet. Maybe getting some people interested in it and asking questions will get the enginners to do it. Which came first? The stick to pull ants out of a ant hole or the engineer to fashion a better stick?

This is an engineering issue. Rather than polling a discussion group, maybe a proper engineering
analysis would be in order.

Maybe the engineers haven't been asked to do a "proper engineering analysis" yet. Maybe getting some people interested in it and asking questions will get the enginners to do it. Which came first? The stick to pull ants out of a ant hole or the engineer to fashion a better stick?

There's a better way to interest engineers in the problem than having a poll on a discussion group. How many mechanical or metallurgical engineers read this?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Rob, what was the deal with Hank Ascuito's pin design?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Back in the late 1970s - early 1980s, Hank Asquito built a bunch of straight ripcord pins. Since they were just swaged onto the end of the cable - with no shoulders - it was possible to insert them too deep into the loop, making for an obscenely hard pull.
I never heard of this happening in practice, but it always worried me when I packed Streamlite containers.

I mentioned Hank more as a caution against "reinventing the wheel" without fully understanding the thought process behind current technology.
Most technological advances begin with a bloody accident.

How many mechanical or metallurgical engineers read this?

I'm one, with precise measurements, manufactoring tolerances and a definition of the used alloy the needed force to break a pin, and where it will break, is not that hard to produce.

In the case of simulating various kinds of stress on the pin to break it (leaning against and/or bumping into and/or....) we are talking about a whole different ballgame. I would not really know where to start that one.

As much as people bitch about gear costs, do you really think they'll be willing to pay even more for a super reinforced pin?? I don't think so. Complacency will regain control here shortly, and people will be back to complaining that prices are too high.

Not that it's skydiving related, but this just shows how stupid apathy/complacency is....
A recent tax bill just got defeated here. It would add $11 a year to your total property taxes. The money was to go to construction and staffing for a new Fire Station. All the studies that have been done show that the town REALLY needs another one, but with all the new taxes and fees Californians are being stuck with, $11 more was just too much.

Nearly 70% of the population couldn't see spending another $11 to reduce fire response times by almost half. They're complacent, because they don't need the services every day...

Skydivers were complacent about ripcords...until they got scared. So the question is, will we become complacent again, or will be foot the extra bill to make our gear better....? No one has died because of this scare. No one has lost a friend or loved one because of this. We weren't bitten, just scared...and you can quickly recover from being scared...

...My guess is we'll fall back into being complacent once this is sorted out. Money will be tight, and jump tickets are a more attractive place to spend your $$.

Just my $.02, for what it's worth.

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

As much as people bitch about gear costs, do you really think they'll be willing to pay even more for a super reinforced pin??

I think you've got it! Maybe if manufacturers only sold the stronger pin when used with some sort of new, hot looking-sexier handle, then it would be popular.;) Maybe the new pin should be designed so that it can only be swaged with a new type/diameter of cable that looks really cool?

Maybe it is all in the marketing.

I think taxpayers turning down new levies is a response to the perceived waste & fraud in government.

Ripcord pins are made to Mil spec drawings, or at least they are supposed to be. Capewell discovered they were actually using the wrong steel, according to the drawing, for more years than their records covered (15 to 20). They believe they were using the proper steel, just not the spec'd steel. In fact the Mil spec has now been changed to represent practice. . They also discovered their dies were worn and have replaced them and instituted maintainence. These things had NOTHING to do with the problem.

The pins are made by a cold forging process and must be able to be swaged to the cable. It's a trade off between strength (or stiffness) and malability to enable manufacture and swaging. Too hard and you can't attach them to the cable.

Of course the mil spec was for pins used with cones. The sport industry, and the military in borrowing from the sport side, are now using them for something completely different. I agree there should be a better pin for sport applications but the time and sales needed to recover the engineering costs and tooling are probably prohibative. Main pins, and RWS RSL reserve pins, which are not swaged could be and were readily adapatable to stronger materials.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

The pins are made by a cold forging process and must be able to be swaged to the cable. It's a trade off between strength (or stiffness) and malability to enable manufacture and swaging. Too hard and you can't attach them to the cable.

There are other ways of making a pin stronger. It could be a larger diameter. A stronger pin made of a different material could be attached to the cable with a separate, malleable swage. The RWS reserve pin is separate from the cable and attached without the normal swage. There are others.

I'll admit it. Standard reserve pins and ball swages have always scared me. There is virtually no way to tell if they are OK by just looking at them. That's why we test 100% on ripcords...300 lbs. for 3 seconds, applied from handle to pin. And after the recent cracked pins, we now also apply an 11 lb. side load, at 4, 90 degree angles, on every finished ripcord pin we sell.

Back in the late 1970s - early 1980s, Hank Asquito built a bunch of straight ripcord pins. Since they were just swaged onto the end of the cable - with no shoulders - it was possible to insert them too deep into the loop, making for an obscenely hard pull.
I never heard of this happening in practice, but it always worried me when I packed Streamlite containers.

They were not swaged onto the cable. It was a stainless steel cab that was silver soldered onto the end of the cable. You never heard of it happening because it never did. If you followed the packing instructions there was no need to worry. As with other things on a sport rig, when used properly they work fine.
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

That's why we test 100% on ripcords...300 lbs. for 3 seconds

Just out of interest, what proportion of the ripcords you make fail the test and get binned.

Is this a common tests for manufacturers to do, or is my next rig going to be a vector ;)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Ripcord testing procedures vary widely from one manufacturer to the next. Most harness/container manufacturers just trust that ripcord manufacturers do their job properly.
When I built ripcords at Butler Parachute Systems, I did lots and lots of pull tests.
For example, when I worked at Rigging Innovations, we pull tested tested 10% of every batch of ripcords that came in the door.
On the other hand, when I worked at Para-Phernalia, most of the ripcords were manufactured somewhere else and they were lucky if they got a quick visual inspection.

That's why we test 100% on ripcords...300 lbs. for 3 seconds

Just out of interest, what proportion of the ripcords you make fail the test and get binned.

Is this a common tests for manufacturers to do, or is my next rig going to be a vector ;)

TSO-C23d (AS8015B) require that every reserve activation devise (ripcord) be tested to this standard.
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

The failure rate on the reserve ripcords we test is very low. I'll take a look at our test reports for the last year, and get back to you on the numbers of failed tests.

By the way, TSO standards require that your ripcord DESIGN pass the 300 lb./3 second test, but does not state that you have to test every ripcord. You could choose to, for instance, test only 10%. However, since even one bad ripcord can ruin your day, we do 100% testing. We have added the new 11 lb.,4x90 degree side load test on every ripcord, simply because I no longer trust currently manufactured ripcord pins. The amount of incoming material testing I have to do now is at least three times what is was in the past, because of the generally lower quality of received goods. We now even have to test every friction adapter for slippage. One batch will come in that doesn't slip until 1,200 lbs., yet the next batch, from the same company, might slip at 300. Kevar went to crap about 4 years ago, and I had to redesign the lower bridle on my drogues to be easily replaceable, because now the drogue envelope now outlasts the drogue bridle...exactly the opposite of a few years ago. And don't even mention Velcro...It is nowhere near as good as it once was. I could go on and on...but that's my problem, not yours. What you get, in the finished product, at least from us, is the best materials available.

TSO standards require that your ripcord DESIGN pass the 300 lb./3 second test

Is this typical of the TSO standard. IE how much of the testing done for the TSO is pure design testing as opposed to testing the materials and the finished product

The amount of incoming material testing I have to do now is at least three times what is was in the past, because of the generally lower quality of received goods.

This is starting to worry me a bit. If the quality of materials fluctuates (pins, webbing, etc) and there are sections of the TSO standard that only apply to the design, how many rigs out there wouldn't pass the TSO because the quality of the materials has changed since the initial certification???? Very scary :S

Think my next rig will be a vector ;)